Question about gravitational waves, E modes

In summary, gravitational waves are ripples in spacetime caused by the acceleration of massive objects and are detected using interferometers. Detecting E modes in these waves can provide valuable information about their nature and origin, but there are currently no known practical applications for them. Gravitational waves differ from electromagnetic waves in their fundamental nature, with the former being disturbances in spacetime and the latter being disturbances in electromagnetic fields.
Frank Einstein
Hi everybody, I have been reading about gravitational waves, but I don't get how the E modes work; in one place I read that they were created during the inflation time, but in other I read that they come from the recombination.
Does it mean that they were produced almost when the Big Bang happened but I cam only see the ones from the recombination era?

Thanks for reading.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you mean E modes in the cosmic microwave background? Those are not gravitational waves.

Related to Question about gravitational waves, E modes

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime caused by the acceleration of massive objects, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using highly sensitive instruments called interferometers, which measure tiny changes in the distance between two points caused by passing gravitational waves.

3. What is the significance of detecting E modes in gravitational waves?

E modes refer to a specific pattern of polarization in gravitational waves, and their detection can provide important information about the nature and origin of these waves.

4. Can gravitational waves be used for practical applications?

While the detection of gravitational waves is a major scientific breakthrough, there are currently no known practical applications for them. However, further research may uncover potential uses in the future.

5. How do gravitational waves differ from electromagnetic waves?

Gravitational waves and electromagnetic waves are fundamentally different phenomena. Electromagnetic waves are disturbances in electromagnetic fields, while gravitational waves are disturbances in the fabric of spacetime itself.