Question About Geometric Sequence.

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the total earned in a geometric sequence where a fixed amount is subtracted every day. The formula for solving this is [a(1-r^n+1)/(1-r)] - xn, where a is the original amount, r is the ratio, n is the number of terms, and x is the penalty per day. The conversation also includes a scenario to illustrate the formula and a suggestion to keep the formula in mind.
hawk 1sr
i know how the basic geometric sequence system works, but what if i want to subtract a fixed amount every

For example if i start with $5000 (a1) and is multiplied by 1.05 (5% / r) every day for 20 days (n) I would have $13,267. But what would I have if $20 dollars was subtracted from the total made every day? what's the equation?

for example the first day i would have made 5% or $250 + $5000= 5,250 the first day, but because of the subtraction of $20 every day i would only have made $230 or a total of $5,230 that day? do i make sense?

Sn = [a1(1 - rn)]/(1 - r)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi hawk 1sr! :smile:

Let x0 be the amount of money in the beginning. Let [itex]\rho[/itex] be the quantity 1.05 and let a be the 20$.

Then,

On day 1, we have [itex]x_1=\rho x_0-a[/itex]
On day 2, we have [itex]x_2=\rho x_1-a=\rho^2x_0-\rho a-a[/itex].
On day 3, we have [itex]x_3=\rho x_2-a=\rho^3x_0-\rho^2a-\rho a-a[/itex].
So, on day n, we have [

[tex]x_n=\rho^nx_0-\rho^{n-1}a-...-\rho a-a=\rho^nx_0-a(\rho^{n-1}+...+\rho+1)=\rho^nx_0-a\frac{\rho^n-1}{\rho-1}[/tex]

Was this the formula you're looking for?

i have no idea what language that is, is all i need is a nice little simple equation in english. ty

Don't worry, I think I can help, and I will keep it as simple as possible.

Your sequence is finite, so it is quite simple actually. Take a scenario in which everyday you get 50% more than the previous day for 5 days. And you start with 10000 dollars. Also, you lose a fixed value of 20 dollars per day. First, we do the normal calculation for geometric sequence to find that without the 20 dollar penalty, you will end up with 207 812.50 dollars. The equation for solving this is

[itex]\frac{a(1-r^{n+1})}{1-r}[/itex]
In which a is the original number(10000 dollars), r is the ratio(1.5, as each day you get 1.5 more than the previous), and n is the number of terms( in this case it is the number of days, which is 5)
This equation is quite handy so keep it in mind. Ok, so now you know how much you should get. Since everyday you lose 20 dollars, and you have been doing that for 5 days, you lose a total of 5*20 dollars, which is 100 dollars. So you take 207 812.50 dollars minus 100 dollars. If you are looking for a straightforward equation, then here it is
[itex]\frac{a(1-r^{n+1})}{1-r}-xn[/itex]
In which x is the penalty per day.
Note: for a finite Progression, like you case, both the numerator and denominator of the fraction will be negative. However, two negative cancel out to make a positive. So do not despair when the numerator or denominator is negative.
I hope I was as simple as possible

i believe you are incorrect, as the penalty will have to be taken out daily, so less would be compounded.

hawk 1sr said:
i have no idea what language that is, is all i need is a nice little simple equation in english. ty

I think the LaTeX images has not loaded for you, here is the image:

67rxg9.jpg

hawk 1sr said:
Basically, you are saying "Instead of giving me a simple, straightforward answer, please make it complicated and difficult to understand". That is exactly what Ashwin_Kumar did!

Oh thank you for your recognition.Anyway, micromass put it fast and simple- and i just lengthened that.

Related to Question About Geometric Sequence.

1. What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number, called the common ratio. The general formula for a geometric sequence is an = a1 * rn-1, where an represents the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

2. How do you find the common ratio in a geometric sequence?

To find the common ratio in a geometric sequence, divide any term by the previous term. The resulting quotient will be the common ratio. For example, if the sequence is 2, 4, 8, 16, the common ratio is r = 4/2 = 2.

3. Can a geometric sequence have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric sequence can have a negative common ratio. In this case, the sequence will alternate between positive and negative terms.

4. What is the sum of a geometric sequence?

The sum of a finite geometric sequence can be calculated using the formula Sn = a1(1 - rn) / (1 - r), where Sn represents the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio. If the sequence is infinite, the sum is S = a1 / (1 - r) if |r| < 1 and the sum diverges if |r| ≥ 1.

5. How is a geometric sequence used in real life?

Geometric sequences are commonly used in financial calculations, such as compound interest and annuities. They can also be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and other natural phenomena. In addition, geometric sequences are used in computer algorithms and data compression techniques.