Question about generator of cyclic group

In summary, a generator a in a cyclic group G means that [a] = G and the order of a is the smallest integer s such that as = e, where e is the identity element. It is always true that there is an integer t such that at = m for every element m in G. However, t is not always less than or equal to s. It is possible to have a situation where a^5 = e and a^10 = m for some element m in G. When evaluating as+1, the same cycle repeats as as = e.
dumbQuestion
Say we have a cyclic group G, and a generator a in G. This means [a] = G. We know the order of an element a, is the order of the group it generates, [a], and also this is the smallest integer s such that as=e, where e is the identity element. In this case, [a]=G, so s is just the order of G.

Now my question is, since a is a generator of G, this means there is an integer t such that for every m in G, at=m. But is it always true that t ≤ s? What I mean is, does the integer s such that as = e (the identity) always have to be greater than the integer t such that at=m (where m is just any old element in G, NOT the identity!) Could you have a situation say where you have a group G and generator a, and say e is the identity element in G, and m is some other element in G, and a5=e, but a10=m?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens with as+1? Well, you get asa = ea = a, so you start the same cycle over again.

Number Nine, thank you very much for this, that makes complete sense and clears my confusion and I don't know why I didn't think of it this way before!

Related to Question about generator of cyclic group

What is a generator in a cyclic group?

A generator in a cyclic group is an element that can generate all other elements in the group through repeated multiplication. It is often denoted as g and is the smallest positive integer that satisfies g^n = e, where e is the identity element in the group.

How do you find a generator of a cyclic group?

To find a generator of a cyclic group, you can use the following steps:

1. Start with any element in the group and raise it to different powers until you reach the identity element.
  2. If you never reach the identity element, then the element you started with is a generator of the group.
  3. If you do reach the identity element, then try another element and repeat the process until you find a generator.

Can a cyclic group have more than one generator?

Yes, a cyclic group can have multiple generators. In fact, every element in a cyclic group can be a generator if the group is finite. If the group is infinite, then there will be an infinite number of generators.

What is the order of a generator in a cyclic group?

The order of a generator in a cyclic group is the smallest positive integer n such that g^n = e, where g is the generator and e is the identity element. This means that the generator can generate n distinct elements in the group.

Can a generator of a cyclic group be an element of the group itself?

Yes, a generator of a cyclic group can be an element of the group itself. In fact, in a cyclic group, every element can be a generator if the group is finite. If the group is infinite, then there will be infinitely many generators, including elements of the group.