Question about Gaussian wave packet

In summary, the conversation includes discussion of solving a complex function and calculating an integral. There is a mention of checking work and a suggestion to be careful with completing the square and the exponential factor.
BREAD

Homework Statement

http://cafeptthumb2.phinf.naver.net/MjAxNzAzMTVfMjcw/MDAxNDg5NTY5MTEwOTk5.FfccOAaDqBZbb9wXwuUWda8EN1aVvzMdcXO0GvaWwTsg.EjdATfmPtj-DteqAXFu9urHMslV8JTeridwC4ZNoJ68g.PNG.nikel92/asfasf.PNG?type=w740

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://cafeptthumb2.phinf.naver.net/MjAxNzAzMTVfMTk5/MDAxNDg5NTY5MTExNTIw.4LJ_551zal_jTeWLSObHiqdLPvaKKsKjrYrDzjkqVrUg.20VhdFGF31Bvi_la0HWc-BCkAFfafevKhQCMn-EG20gg.JPEG.nikel92/KakaoTalk_20170315_181019347.jpg?type=w740

I think i solved the (a), but i can't calculate the integral because the function is to complex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
check your work..., as I work thru this, I am getting something different, be careful with completing the square

So far so good...check your exponential factor

Last edited:

Related to Question about Gaussian wave packet

1. What is a Gaussian wave packet?

A Gaussian wave packet is a mathematical representation of a wave function, often used in quantum mechanics. It is a localized wave that has a Gaussian (bell-shaped) distribution in space and time.

2. How is a Gaussian wave packet different from other types of wave packets?

A Gaussian wave packet has a specific shape and spread that is different from other wave packets, such as a square or triangular wave packet. It also has a unique mathematical form that allows for easy calculations and analysis.

3. What is the significance of a Gaussian wave packet in physics?

Gaussian wave packets are important in physics because they accurately describe the behavior of many physical systems, such as particles in quantum mechanics. They also have properties that make them useful in practical applications, such as signal processing and optics.

4. How is a Gaussian wave packet created or generated?

A Gaussian wave packet can be created by superimposing multiple wave functions with different frequencies and phases. It can also be generated by passing a beam of particles through a slit or by using a laser beam with a Gaussian intensity profile.

5. What are the key parameters of a Gaussian wave packet?

The key parameters of a Gaussian wave packet are its amplitude, width, and position in space and time. These parameters determine the shape and behavior of the wave packet and can be adjusted to fit different physical systems and applications.