Question about frictional and normal force

In summary, the person is trying to find the frictional force of a wall with a mass of 150 kg using the frictional force formula, but they do not know how to find the normal force. Frictional force is only present if there is movement or other forces acting in the same direction, and the equation for static friction is |Fr| <= mu |Fn|.
imagesparkle

Homework Statement

Okay so there is a wall that has a mass of 150 kg and I am pushing it but the wall does not move. The coefficient of friction is 2 and I am trying to find the frictional force using the frictional force formula. Although, I need the normal force in which I am using to push the wall but don't know how to find the normal force.

Homework Equations

Fr = (mu)(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
imagesparkle said:

Homework Statement

Okay so there is a wall that has a mass of 150 kg and I am pushing it but the wall does not move. The coefficient of friction is 2 and I am trying to find the frictional force using the frictional force formula. Although, I need the normal force in which I am using to push the wall but don't know how to find the normal force.

Homework Equations

Fr = (mu)(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

You need to describe the set up better. Frictional force between what two objects - you and the wall?
Friction acts parallel to the surfaces in contact. If there is no movement and no other forces in that direction then the frictional force will be zero, regardless of the coefficient. The static frictional force is only as large as it needs to be to prevent relative motion. The correct equation is |Fr| <= mu |Fn|.

Related to Question about frictional and normal force

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that resists the motion of objects sliding against each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities in the surfaces of the objects that come in contact with each other.

2. How is frictional force related to normal force?

Frictional force and normal force are directly related to each other. Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it, perpendicular to the surface. Frictional force is the force that acts parallel to the surface of contact and opposes the motion. The magnitude of frictional force depends on the magnitude of normal force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of frictional force?

The magnitude of frictional force depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force, and the roughness of the surfaces. It also depends on the presence of any lubricants or fluids between the surfaces.

4. How does frictional force affect the motion of an object?

Frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the motion of an object, causing it to slow down or come to a stop. It also affects the amount of force needed to move an object, as it must overcome the resistance of frictional force.

5. Can frictional force be completely eliminated?

No, frictional force cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother surfaces, but there will always be some amount of frictional force present between two surfaces in contact.