Question about fluid mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of keeping a solid body at equilibrium over an orifice, specifically with the case of a sphere, cube, and cylinder. The speaker mentions working with variables and solving for the fraction of height that can be kept outside, assuming atmospheric pressure and negligible viscosity. They are unsure of how to progress with this problem and question if it has a solution. The issue lies with the part of the sphere outside the vessel and the speaker considers examining other geometric figures as a learning precedent.
Perpendicular
Hi, I am trying to work with the problem of keeping a solid body at equilibrium over an orifice.

To see what I mean ( not necessarily a sphere could be a cube or something like that as well ) please look at the image I have attached.

I am trying to work with the sphere case first and then move on to the case of cube and cylinder. In case of cylinder I am going to be working with the variables and solving for the fraction of the height I can keep outside. Also outside pressure is assumed to be atmospheric pressure and viscosity negligible. The rectangles at the bottom represent container walls.

I am not sure how to progress here, however. Does the problem even have a solution at all ? My basic issue lies with the part of the sphere outside the vessel as the part inside experiences an easily calculable force of buoyancy. However I am not sure how to progress after this. Have I taken too few variables and made the problem unsolvable by any chance ? Would it help me to examine some other geometric figure first as a learning precedent ?

Attachments

• picture.JPG
    picture.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
The OP gives no idea of what he is trying to determine.

Related to Question about fluid mechanics

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior under various conditions. It focuses on understanding how fluids flow, how they exert forces on objects, and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications, such as in designing airplanes, cars, and ships, predicting weather patterns, designing hydraulic systems, and understanding blood flow in the human body. It also plays a crucial role in industries like aerospace, automotive, and chemical engineering.

3. What are the basic principles of fluid mechanics?

The basic principles of fluid mechanics are mass conservation, momentum conservation, and energy conservation. These principles state that the total mass, momentum, and energy of a fluid system remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How is fluid mechanics related to other branches of physics?

Fluid mechanics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and solid mechanics. It shares many concepts and principles with these branches and often overlaps with them in various applications.

5. What are some common types of fluid flow?

Some common types of fluid flow include laminar flow, where the particles move in a smooth, orderly manner; turbulent flow, where the particles move in a chaotic, irregular manner; and transitional flow, which is a combination of laminar and turbulent flow. Other types include steady and unsteady flow, compressible and incompressible flow, and viscous and inviscid flow.