Question about flow from a nitrogen bottle

In summary, a nitrogen bottle will flow for about 2.2 minutes before it runs out. It will last for around 270 minutes if you are using it at 1 litre per minute.
Craig K
I need to know how long a nitrogen bottle will flow for. It is 2.2 Litres 110Bar. I want it to flow at around 1 litre per minute to do an experiment. How long will it last? Sorry if this is a really dumb question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Craig K said:
I need to know how long a nitrogen bottle will flow for. It is 2.2 Litres 110Bar. I want it to flow at around 1 litre per minute to do an experiment. How long will it last? Sorry if this is a really dumb question.
Usually the rated volume is at atmospheric pressure. Is this a really little bottle?

What pressure do you need at your point of use? If atmospheric I think it's just volume divided by flow rate, or 2.2 min.

Do not need pressure so to speak just flow and yes it is a small bottle

2.2 litre * 110 Bar = 242 litres at 1 Bar ;
At 1 litre/minute = 242 minutes.

Likes Craig K
2.2 litre * 110 Bar could also mean only a 2.2 minute supply of gas.
2.2 litre compressed to 110 Bar would have a volume of 2200 / 110 = 20 ml.
You could hold a 20 ml cylinder in your clenched fist.

Please measure and report the dimensions of the cylinder.

The data sheet says; "Output @ 9l/pm will flow for around 30mins".
Therefore @ 1 litre/minute it will last for 9 * 30 = 270 minutes.

The bottle looks like 2.2 litres of compressed gas at 110 Bar.
My earlier answer of 242 minutes is close to the truth.

Likes russ_watters
Thanks heaps for you educated answer.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman

Related to Question about flow from a nitrogen bottle

1. How does a nitrogen bottle flow work?

A nitrogen bottle works by storing pressurized nitrogen gas inside a container. When the valve on the bottle is opened, the gas is released and flows out of the bottle.

2. What is the purpose of using a nitrogen bottle for flow?

A nitrogen bottle is commonly used in scientific experiments and industrial processes to provide a controlled and consistent flow of nitrogen gas. It is also used for purging and inerting applications.

3. How do you control the flow rate from a nitrogen bottle?

The flow rate from a nitrogen bottle can be controlled by adjusting the pressure on the regulator attached to the bottle. The higher the pressure, the faster the flow rate will be.

4. Can a nitrogen bottle be used for other gases?

No, a nitrogen bottle is specifically designed for storing and dispensing nitrogen gas. It should not be used for any other gases as it can be dangerous and potentially cause harm.

5. How do you safely handle a nitrogen bottle?

When handling a nitrogen bottle, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses. The bottle should be stored in a well-ventilated area and never exposed to high temperatures. It should also be securely fastened to prevent it from falling or tipping over.