Calculating the Earth's Ocean Volume: Step-by-Step Guide | Simmon

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the volume of the Earth's ocean. The original poster asked for help in calculating the volume and provided the average depth of the ocean and the radius of the Earth. Some users provided calculations and the total volume of the ocean was determined to be approximately 1.5x109 km3. The conversation also includes a reminder that it is not appropriate to ask for homework help on the forum.
Simon_Harmon
Volume of the ocean??

G'day,

Is anyone able to help me, in calculating the volume of the Earth's volume?

*Please show all working*

Thanks in adavnce!

Kind Regards
Simmon.

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Simon_Harmon
G'day,

Is anyone able to help me, in calculating the volume of the Earth's volume?

*Please show all working*

Thanks in adavnce!

Kind Regards
Simmon.

1,360,000,000 km^3

Well take the ave depth to be of the worlds ocean to be 9000 meters.
radius of Earth is ~63,000 meters. 2/3rds of the Earth is covered in water
vol ~ 10^14 meters cubed

JMD

My answer is absolutely correct. It's the universal value!

Sniff,sniff... I thing I smell homework.

It is customary that this forum does not do your homework. We will help you if you can show us what you have done.

Ss... the next question is what is your question? The title implies that you are wanting to know about the volumn of the ocean, but your post does not reflect that? What are you looking for?

Originally posted by Integral
Sniff,sniff... I thing I smell homework.

It is customary that this forum does not do your homework. We will help you if you can show us what you have done.

Ss... the next question is what is your question? The title implies that you are wanting to know about the volumn of the ocean, but your post does not reflect that? What are you looking for?

Well, he/she asked for the volume.

I must tell you though Simon. I guarantee you that the time it took for you to type your question and post it was more than triple the time it took for me to get the answer.

All I did was open google and type "total volume of oceans" I didn't even have to look for a link, because the caption for the first link on the results page had the number in it, and so did the second and third.

So, sometimes it's quicker to get the answer yourself than ask.

PS: However, maybe I lied to you about the answer, so check yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Volume of Earth is (4/3)[pi]R3, so plugging R=6.38x106 m, one can get V=1.1x1021 m3, or = 1.1x1012 km3.

Volume of ocean can be calculated as (2/3)4[pi]R2h, assuming average depth h~4.5 km, one gets about 1.5x109 km3= 1.5x1018 m3

Last edited by a moderator:
The radius of the Earth I used was wrong, but was allong the same lines as Alexander

JMD

How do you add a quoe from a previous post??

Originally posted by nbo10

How do you add a quoe from a previous post??

Just press "quote" button in lower right corner under the post you want to quote.

1. How is the Earth's ocean volume calculated?

The Earth's ocean volume is calculated by multiplying the average depth of the ocean (which is approximately 3,682 meters) by the total surface area of the ocean (which is approximately 361.9 million square kilometers).

2. What is the equation used to calculate the Earth's ocean volume?

The equation used to calculate the Earth's ocean volume is: V = A x D, where V is the volume, A is the surface area, and D is the average depth of the ocean.

3. How accurate is the calculated volume of the Earth's ocean?

The calculated volume of the Earth's ocean is estimated to be accurate within a margin of error of approximately 3%. This is due to variations in depth and shape of the ocean floor, as well as fluctuations in sea level.

4. What units are used to measure the Earth's ocean volume?

The Earth's ocean volume is typically measured in cubic kilometers (km3) or cubic miles (mi3).

5. How does the Earth's ocean volume compare to the volume of the entire planet?

The Earth's ocean volume makes up approximately 96.5% of the total volume of the planet. This means that the ocean is significantly larger than the landmass, which makes up the remaining 3.5% of the Earth's volume.