Question about energy and speed

In summary, according to general relativity, rotating, massive objects lose energy due to gravitomagnetic radiation. However, the rate of energy loss is incredibly small, so it's not a large immediate effect.
fizzzzzzzzzzzy
if we are moving at tousands of millions of miles per hour (rotation of universe) then souldn't we have burned up by now because of all the energy used to go that fast?

Physics news on Phys.org
rotation of the universe?
you mean the galaxy?
hows the universe rotate if its got nothing to compare against?

dont quite understand the question

Welcome fizzzzzzzzzzzzy!

Nowhere have I ever seen that the Universe rotates. I rather expands. I suspect you mean the galaxy.

But neither the spinning of the Earth, nor its displacement (around the Sun or galaxy) consumes any energy. If you're going 20 mph on a bicycle and you stop pedalling, the bike would go on forever (just like the Earth) if it weren't for friction between tire and road and friction in the wheel axles. There's no such friction in space to slow down the Earth.

^ Somehow I find your answer isn't actually it... I'm not sure but I don't think our galaxies are perfectly isolated systems, so there would still be some sort of friction, right?

There is no friction in outer space, only gravitational forces that can act on each other over distances. Friction occurs between two objects in contact. Since space is a vaccume, there is no "contact" other than the forces that act over distances.

"Moving fast" does not "require" energy. If we were suddenly to slow down, all the "kinetic energy" we have (which is what i think you are talking about) and if it were friction that was causing the slowing, it would go into heat. That is what cyrusabdollahi was talking about. Furthermore, all energy is relative to something else.
I you move a box of mass m up a height h, its potential energy is now mgh relative to its initial position. Our kinetic energy due to the "rotation of the universe" would be relative to the center of the universe (wherever that is) and is not particularly significant.

According to general relativity, rotating, massive objects lose energy due to gravitomagnetic radiation. It's kind of the gravitational equivalent of the electromagnetic radiation emitted by accelerated charges. However, the rate of energy loss due to this gravitomagnetic radiation is incredibly small, so it's not a large immediate effect.

Grev said:
^ Somehow I find your answer isn't actually it... I'm not sure but I don't think our galaxies are perfectly isolated systems, so there would still be some sort of friction, right?

The only possible friction is cosmic rays, and collisions with dust, meteorites etc, which are negligeable as far as I know and can come from any direction quite symetrically.

Gravity and electromagnetic fields that could influence the course of something moving in space don't cause friction. They can accelerate it in any direction, but not stop it. There are conservative fields and non-conservative fields. Gravity and EM fields are conservative, friction is non-conservative.

I disagree with the statement about EM fields not causing friction, or at least some force very much like it. Magnetic fields in space will induce eddy currents in conductors (plasmas, iron-nickel meteors, cores of planets) moving across the field lines. Creating eddy currents will slow down the conductor relative to the field lines. Unless these conductors have zero resistance (superconductor), then the eddy currents are dissipated as heat in the conductor. The overall effect is a retarding force on the conductor and the generation of heat. Seems a lot like friction.

There are also friction arguments that could be made for time or position changing EM fields that act on matter, even nonconductors, via dielectric or diamagnetic effects.

Finally, since light is EM, and also carries momentum, and can be absorbed, matter colliding with photons experiences a force somewhat like friction. For very high velocities, an object will have hard hitting blue-shifted photons hitting it from the front while only wimpy red-shifted photons will hit it from the rear. This situation would imply some sort of velocity dependent retarding force on the object.

Last edited:

Related to Question about energy and speed

1. What is the relationship between energy and speed?

The relationship between energy and speed is that as the speed of an object increases, so does its energy. This is because energy is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its velocity, as described by the equation E=1/2mv^2. Therefore, the higher the speed of an object, the more energy it possesses.

2. How does energy affect an object's speed?

Energy can affect an object's speed by either increasing or decreasing it. When an object absorbs energy, its speed increases, and when it loses energy, its speed decreases. This is due to the conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

3. Can an object have a high speed but low energy?

Yes, an object can have a high speed but low energy. This can occur when an object has a small mass or when its speed is not at its maximum potential. For example, a feather may have a high speed when blown by the wind, but it has low energy due to its small mass.

4. How is energy related to the concept of kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly related to an object's speed because the faster an object moves, the more kinetic energy it has. This is expressed by the equation KE=1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

5. Why is it important to understand the relationship between energy and speed?

Understanding the relationship between energy and speed is crucial in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to predict and calculate the behavior and performance of objects in motion, such as vehicles, projectiles, and particles. Additionally, it helps us to design and improve technologies that utilize energy and speed, such as engines and turbines.