Question about electromagnetism and photons

In summary, EM radiation and EM fields are closely related, with EM radiation being the particle manifestation of the oscillating fields. When an antenna emits a signal at a certain frequency, it produces both photons and oscillating fields at that frequency. If an antenna's signal has a wavelength of 600nm, it would produce visible light. The quantization of EM fields does not change the time-averaged power received, but it may make the signal more sporadic.
hcs
Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched but didn't find anything

What's the difference between EM radiation (photons) and EM fields? When an antenna is emitting a signal at X Hz, is it emitting photons with the frequency of X Hz or is it just making electrical and magnetical fields (and thus called EM)

If my antenna's signal had a wavelength of 600nm (out aside the technological difficulties), would it produce visible light?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hcs said:
What's the difference between EM radiation (photons) and EM fields?

EM radiation can be said to be oscillating electric and magnetic fields.

When an antenna is emitting a signal at X Hz, is it emitting photons with the frequency of X Hz or is it just making electrical and magnetical fields (and thus called EM)

Both, actually. Photons are the particle manifestation of light (light acts like both particles and a wave). But to clarify, when I say it produces photons of that frequency, I don't mean the frequency with which it emits photons, I mean the frequency of the EM field oscillation.

Which it behaves like (particle or wave) depends on the context.

If my antenna's signal had a wavelength of 600nm, would it produce visible light?

Yeah, that's orange, I believe.

So that means that even EM fields are quantized? By this I mean to ask if the system is emitting so little power that only emits a few photons, the "Received Power is proportional to the inverse of the square distance" is no longer true?

hcs said:
So that means that even EM fields are quantized? By this I mean to ask if the system is emitting so little power that only emits a few photons, the "Received Power is proportional to the inverse of the square distance" is no longer true?

Photons dilute as 1/r^2 as well. The fact that it's quantized will make the signal more sporadic, but it won't change the time-averaged power that's received. This happens a lot in high-energy detectors (for X-rays and such) because there are many fewer photons per unit of energy in X-radiation ([tex]E=h\nu[/tex]).

Related to Question about electromagnetism and photons

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interactions between electrically charged particles. It studies the forces and fields created by electrically charged particles, as well as the effects of those forces on other charged particles.

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light. It is the basic unit of electromagnetic radiation and carries energy and momentum. Photons have no mass and travel at the speed of light.

How are electromagnetism and photons related?

Electromagnetism and photons are closely related because photons are the basic units of electromagnetic radiation. Electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves, are made up of photons. The electric and magnetic fields of these waves are created by the oscillation of photons.

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of radiation has a different frequency and wavelength.

How does electromagnetism and photons impact our daily lives?

Electromagnetism and photons play a crucial role in our daily lives. They are used in technologies such as electricity, radio and television communication, and medical imaging. They also play a role in natural processes such as photosynthesis and the Earth's magnetic field.