Question about electromagnetic waves?

In summary, the electric and magnetic components of an electromagnetic wave are proportional, though the amplitude of the electric portion is unrelated to that of the magnetic portion.
ChowPuppy
Are the amplitudes of the electric and magnetic components of an electromagnetic wave proportional?
Or is the amplitude of the electric portion unrelated to that of the magnetic portion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Delta² said:
E=cB is the relationship that holds between amplitudes, where E is the amplitude of the electric component and B that of the magnetic component. c is the speed of light.
If you want a bit more read the last 3 paragraphs of this wikipedia section http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_wave#Derivation

Not quite accurate, actually. The E and H fields are related by

Z0 = E/H
where Z0 is the Impedance of free space (approx 377Ω)

Alternatively

E/B = Z00

I don't think your formula can be obtained by rearranging the above / substituting quantities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_of_free_space" link shows it in more detail

Last edited by a moderator:
sophiecentaur said:
Not quite accurate, actually. The E and H fields are related by

Z0 = E/H
where Z0 is the Impedance of free space (approx 377Ω)

Alternatively

E/B = Z00

I don't think your formula can be obtained by rearranging the above / substituting quantities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_of_free_space" link shows it in more detail

I think you are contradicting yourself here. In the link you give and in the derivation in the section "Relation to other constants" it uses the fact that E/B=c. Z00 equals the speed of light in vacuum! (as read in section "exact value" in the link you give).

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely!
What a plonker! It's right in there, amongst all the other ratios.
Removes foot from mouth.

otoh, the concept of Free Space Impedance is, interestingly, also related to the ratio of fields. I'd have got away with it if I hadn't actually said you were wrong.

This is news for me, i corrected a science advisor of Physics Forums!( Ok ok you weren't clearly wrong but rather self contradicting).
I think probably you didnt read at all the wiki link i gave, it eplains it all there and the only extra assumption made to derive the amplitude relation E=cB is that the direction of the E-field is constant that is the wave is linearly polarized.

Last edited:

Related to Question about electromagnetic waves?

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that are created by the vibrations of electric and magnetic fields. They are generated by the movement of charged particles and travel through space at the speed of light.

2. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes a wide range of wavelengths, from long radio waves to short gamma rays.

3. How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in communication technologies, such as radio and television, and in medical imaging, such as X-rays and MRI scans. They are also used in household appliances, such as microwaves and remote controls.

4. Can electromagnetic waves be harmful?

Yes, some forms of electromagnetic waves can be harmful to humans and other living organisms. For example, prolonged exposure to high levels of UV radiation can cause skin cancer, and excessive exposure to X-rays can damage cells and cause mutations.

5. How are electromagnetic waves related to light?

Light is a type of electromagnetic wave that is visible to the human eye. However, the electromagnetic spectrum includes other types of waves that are not visible, such as radio waves and X-rays. All forms of light travel through space at the speed of light and have similar properties, such as wavelength and frequency.