If Bush knowingly lied about WMDs, should he go to jail?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers various opinions on whether or not former President Bush should face legal consequences for potential lies and fraud committed during his time in office. Some participants argue that he should face imprisonment, while others believe he has already been politically ruined and disgraced. The conversation also touches on former President Clinton's actions and whether or not he should have faced punishment for his lies, as well as bringing up the topic of potential lies and deceit in relation to the Iraq War. Some participants also discuss the importance of character in a president and the potential complicity of Congress in these actions.

If he lied, should Bush do time?

• Go directly to jail.

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Only ruined and disgraced

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Other. Please explain

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is an if then question. I am not asserting that Bush lied.

If a fraud was perpetrated by Bush and some of his administration, on the people and Congress of this country, and the world in general, should he do time, or should he only be ruined and disgraced politically?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clinton lied. Should he go to jail? And in his case it's not an "if". It's a fact.

BTW I thought Bush was already ruined and disgraced politically.

Originally posted by Laser Eyes
Clinton lied. Should he go to jail? And in his case it's not an "if". It's a fact.

I'm not sure why they failed to press charges. Perhaps the legal case wasn't strong enough? More likely thought the significance plays a role as in "the punishment should fit the crime"? My impression was that even the Clinton attack dogs saw no value in pursuing his "punishment" any further.

BTW I thought Bush was already ruined and disgraced politically.

One wouldn't think so looking at the polls. Also, as much as I dislike the Bushes, I'm still holding out for any potential finds and findings. Perhaps given all of the evidence, Congress will judge that the interpretations made were reasonable. Why do you feel that his goose is already cooked?

Edit: Heck. The Bush people are already rattling their sabers at Iran for yet another war.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I'm not sure why they failed to press charges. Perhaps the legal case wasn't strong enough? More likely thought the significance plays a role as in "the punishment should fit the crime"? My impression was that even the Clinton attack dogs saw no value in pursuing his "punishment" any further.

Which lies are you two talking about? The sex issues or the more relevant Kosovo?

I don't know why people continue to try to defend bush by pointing to the Clinton situation. You should discuss the issue at hand, instead of saying, "Well, he's a bad guy, too."

I don't know any information regarding Clinton and lies about Kosovo. If he did, then I think that he should have been punished according to his crimes, just the same as bush should be punished about any discovered lies that he told to sell the war.

Clinton was dragged over the coals for a consentual sexual encounter that was no concern of anyone's, besides the parties involved. Much was made about his waffling over the details.

Bush has commited this country to an unending war for nebulous reasons, and has redefined the word 'truth' to mean 'whatever statement is politically expedient, in order to advance the empire'.

Originally posted by Zero
...for nebulous reasons,...
Some of those "nebulous" reasons that many still consider of prime importance are the same reasons that helped form the American nation
and many other free nations in their current form. Unfortunetly,
it appears that such ideals are considered... impractical ?
by many in modern societies. Too bad that they forgot why
they live the way they do to the point that they no longer care.

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
Some of those "nebulous" reasons that many still consider of prime importance are the same reasons that helped form the American nation

Live long and prosper.
Hmmm...America was formed on the basis that a Third World country with a fourth-rate military was a 'clear and present danger'? It is an American ideal to raid a country, secure its oil fields, and forget to secure nuclear materials? And, of course, it must be the American Way to lie to the people about exactly why we attack, because we are founded on the principle that public leaders can lie about national defense, so long as they don't cheat on their wife?

Clinton was dragged over the coals for a consentual sexual encounter that was no concern of anyone's, besides the parties involved.
Are you serious? "no concern of anyone's"? A man with his finger on the nuclear bomb, the most powerful man in the world, and you think it is no-one else's concern that this man is cheating on his wife and having "sexual relations" with a girl who works for him? On the contrary I think it positively disentitles him to be president. You think the character of the president is no-else's concern?

Originally posted by Dissident Dan
I don't know why people continue to try to defend bush by pointing to the Clinton situation. You should discuss the issue at hand, instead of saying, "Well, he's a bad guy, too."

I don't know any information regarding Clinton and lies about Kosovo. If he did, then I think that he should have been punished according to his crimes, just the same as bush should be punished about any discovered lies that he told to sell the war.

Well, I wasn't defending Bush, there were many valid parallels in the Clinton/Kosovo era as there are in the Bush/Iraq era. If this is a pattern, then I would think it would be very important to view it as a whole, as well as possible (ongoing) complicity of congress.

In regards to those "blaming" Clinton, one thing I really do hate is this focus on the lies related to Lewinsky, when there were so many others that were virtually ignored by the press and public, including Kosovo.

Originally posted by kat
...one thing I really do hate is this focus on the lies related to Lewinsky, when there were so many others that were virtually ignored by the press and public, including Kosovo.

Could you fill us in? I for one am interested.

Originally posted by drag

Live long and prosper.

This is a funny example as viewed in the context of a potential fraud committed by the President of this free nation "by the people and for the people". I would think that patriotism should start at home - beginning with our own President. One might think that you don't value the very thing that you defend.

Originally posted by kat
Well, I wasn't defending Bush, there were many valid parallels in the Clinton/Kosovo era as there are in the Bush/Iraq era. If this is a pattern, then I would think it would be very important to view it as a whole, as well as possible (ongoing) complicity of congress.

In regards to those "blaming" Clinton, one thing I really do hate is this focus on the lies related to Lewinsky, when there were so many others that were virtually ignored by the press and public, including Kosovo.

Good point bout Kosovo, if it is true...too bad everyone was staring at his crotch instead of his policy. However, it is too late to do anything about him. Bush is still in office, and we can do something about him...if anyone is willing.

...too bad everyone was staring at his crotch

I did not.

sure, clinton lied about having sex, but whose business was that? if a husband is caught having sex with his secretary, is he going to be straight-forward with his wife about it? in my opinion, the republicans were looking for an excuse to get rid of him, and ken starr certainly went out of his jurisdiction of investigating whitewater.

bush actually got tried with blair for warcrimes, too bad they practically blackmailed belgium to throw the charges out. rumsfeld (i think) threatened to move nato out of belgium if bush got tried. that's ridiculous, he should get tried now too. and i think he wanted to move nato over to the us, so bush would have control over a larger war power.

Are you serious? "no concern of anyone's"? A man with his finger on the nuclear bomb, the most powerful man in the world, and you think it is no-one else's concern that this man is cheating on his wife and having "sexual relations" with a girl who works for him? On the contrary I think it positively disentitles him to be president. You think the character of the president is no-else's concern?

Personally, I think the scrutiny of people’s sex lives has no place in politics. Many great leaders from history would never endure today's artificial, hype-media driven, puritan standards. Even though I think character and the quality of a person does matter, we must also allow that great leaders are often a bit the scoundrel when it comes to their personal affairs. Kennedy, Roosevelt, I have even read recently that Lincoln had affairs. In fact, not so long ago, to have a mistress was standard procedure for the elite of society.

A bit disturbing though is your implication that sexual promiscuity makes nuclear war more likely. Come on. I would argue any day of the week that Bush is much more likely to get us all killed than Clinton. Bush's idea of diplomacy is a six shooter, mindless nationalistic rhetoric, and brilliant statements like calling our war on terrorism a "crusade" - a really good way to start a war with all of Islam!

Clinton lied under oath. For this I think he was punished appropriately. I also thought he should have been left alone and then charged as such after leaving office. The way that he was attacked, crippling this country for nearly four years, I thought was a greater crime than what Clinton did. It proved to me that none of Clinton's opposition had this country's best interest at heart. The attack on Clinton was fueled only by hatred and partisanship.

Now, we see people who would defend a President who may have started a war based on lies; this to further the cause of democracy. How's that for irony?

Last edited:
If a fraud was perpetrated by Bush and some of his administration, on the people and Congress of this country, and the world in general, should he do time, or should he only be ruined and disgraced politically?
I voted for "other" since its a loaded question. You assume that a lie = fraud.

well ya, he assumed we were speaking commonly accepted english. is that too far fetched for you russ?

maybe it also depends on how you define "is"?

Originally posted by kyleb
well ya, he assumed we were speaking commonly accepted english. is that too far fetched for you russ?

maybe it also depends on how you define "is"?
*I* am speaking English. It appears that you and others are speaking languages of your own invention. Do I need to pull out the dictionary AGAIN ? Not all lies are fraud and not all fraud comes from lies - a lie is not the only form of deception. And that applies to both the dictionary definition and the legal one.

Example: A bluff in poker fits the dictionary definition of fraud but not the legal one and is not a lie.

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman..." is a lie, but not fraud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think the scrutiny of people’s sex lives has no place in politics.
That is certainly one view but judging by the interest shown by the media (which usually reflects public interest) it is not the view of the public in general.

Yes,Bush should go to jail, he can meet his enron buddies, and have cakes made by Martha Stewart.

What about lying about the reasons to invade other countries, increase military spending, cut taxes for the wealthy, slash services, and strip people of their civil liberties?

Oh, wait...that's not fraud, that is the Republican Party platform.

[zz)] Zero, do you have ANYTHING useful to say?

That is certainly one view but judging by the interest shown by the media (which usually reflects public interest) it is not the view of the public in general.

Yes. Along with Jerry Springer, Heraldo, The National Enquirer, Real TV, Faces of Death or the Craptrix part whatever, or any other movie that has lots of violence and death. Popularity is no measure of significance. Popularity is only a transient measure of perceived importance. If my opinion is in the minority then I will consider this the highest of compliments.

Originally posted by russ_watters
I voted for "other" since its a loaded question. You assume that a lie = fraud.

United States Code
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 47 - FRAUD AND FALSE STATEMENTS
U.S. Code as of: 01/02/01
Section 1001. Statements or entries generally
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any
matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or
judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly
and willfully -
(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or
device a material fact;
(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation;
(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to
contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent
statement or entry;
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years,
or both.

Note the launguage: "whoever, in any manner", "falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact", "makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation".

How exactly does lying about the motives for a war fail to meet this criteria? Russ, I think you are confusing "not getting caught" with "being OK".

Last edited:
*I* am speaking English. It appears that you and others are speaking languages of your own invention. Do I need to pull out the dictionary AGAIN ? Not all lies are fraud and not all fraud comes from lies - a lie is not the only form of deception. And that applies to both the dictionary definition and the legal one.

Example: A bluff in poker fits the dictionary definition of fraud but not the legal one and is not a lie.

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman..." is a lie, but not fraud.

but we are speaking of a particular situation here, not generalizations. however, generally, the words are synonymous.

Entry: bluff
Function: noun
Definition: boast
Synonyms: braggadocio, bragging, bravado, bull****, deception, delusion, facade, fake, false colors, false front, feint, fraud, front, humbug, jiving, lie, pretence, pretext, ruse, sham, show, stall, subterfuge, trick
Antonyms: honesty, reality, truth
Concept: lying

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=bluff

Last edited by a moderator:

[zz)] Zero, do you have ANYTHING useful to say?

The next post like this gets deleted, Russ...you aren't addingf anything besides following around behind me, mad because my opinion is different from yours(and my opinion is more correct than yiours, but that is besides the point)

The next post like this gets deleted, Russ...you aren't addingf anything besides following around behind me, mad because my opinion is different from yours(and my opinion is more correct than yiours, but that is besides the point)
While you are at it, delete every post of yours that I cited in that way. Zero, seriously - posts like that make no useful contribution whatsoever to this board. The level of your posts has dropped significantly recently. Now you're doing little besides ranting and flaming.

Yeah, I know most people are simply ignoring you now, but I don't. I'll call you out every time you do something like that.

Last edited:

While you are at it, delete every post of yours that I cited in that way. Zero, seriously - posts like that make no useful contribution whatsoever to this board. The level of your posts has dropped significantly recently. Now you're doing little besides ranting and flaming.

Yeah, I know most people are simply ignoring you now, but I don't. I'll call you out every time you do something like that.

Well, ignore teh truth at your peril...if you want to hear just whjat you agree with, there are plenty of liars on Fox News to back you up.

there are plenty of liars on Fox News

Boy you've got that right. I was appalled during the war when, after having to endure Olly North and right wing rhetoric from Fox News ad nausea, we see the expert witness Mark Furman appear for commentary. Remember Mark Furman - the crooked cop who along with his scumbag buddy broke the law and were probably responsible for OJ getting off the hook? This is the same guy who, after getting kicked off the LAPD, then went to live with a skin-head militant survivalist group in Idaho. Now he works for Fox News!

Could you fill us in? I for one am interested.

Ivan, if you want to find out about past presidents lying, on any subject simply google like this "clinton lies taxes" "clinton lies kosovo" "all presidents lie taxes". As I mentioned in another thread, the only president (off the top off my head) that I can remember not lying was Carter, and that may not be because he always told the truth it may just be indicative of my occasionally poor memory.

As for Kosovo, the parrallel goes like this
Iraq-
Saddam-freind of U.S.
things turn ugly
Saddam given ultimatums
WMD possibility exagerated
Bush's approach eventually leads to no other option then war.
War is "over" and no WMD found
Oops, wait..after a few months hidden under a rose garden a nuclear component is found..trickle begins?

Kosovo-
Milosevic-friend of U.S.
things turn ugly
U.S.(NATO) sets up Rambouillet agreement, and equally sets up milosevic with a plan he could never accept.
Milosevic given ultimatum (accept agreement or we attack etc.)
Genocide activities cited, huge numbers of dead are given(100k, 500k etc.)
The U.S. bombs, lies about damage and ignores civilian deaths (this is an ugly bit here and I think Bush should be commended for taking a different route that saved a lot of lives)
The "war" is over.
Every one begins to look for the genocidal victims..then not only doubts but claims of lies are raised in October 1999 when a Spanish forensic team left Kosovo after exhuming only 187 bodies. Members of the team publicly challenged NATO's estimated death toll, dismissing it as "war propaganda."
The media joins in, the ngo's join in, the public cries fowl, claims are made of "intentionally misled"..

sound familiar?

Until finally

The bodies begin to appear, and almost 2 years later they are finding that the bodies have been moved from the origional place of death to forest of the serbian national park, a police training camp, hidden in the back of a large truck, stacked one upon the other and then sunk to the bottom of a lake.

So, the moral? don't make accusations until you've given it some time or you might end up with mud on your face.

Last edited:
Originally posted by kat
So, the moral? don't make accusations until you've given it some time or you might end up with mud on your face.

Hey, I'm just taking my lead from John Dean. How could I possibly go wrong?!

Actually, I agree that it is a bit early to be picking out Bush's jail cell. I also must admit that my confidence is so high that any Bush will do the wrong thing for the wrong reasons that I can barely consider that this war may have been justified. Still, I will wait before passing sentence [since I always have the final say in these matters ] Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised and we will find that the world was on the brink of complete annihilation. As far a Kosovo, well, perhaps some analogies do exist. I will have to review this issue a bit for some historical perspective. My life was so busy during that period of time that I don’t remember many details.

I must add though that I have never believed in the WMDs for the following reason: If Saddam had them, we never would have sent in troops to get them. If Saddam was as dangerous as Bush claimed, then Bush also knew that going in was suicide for perhaps hundreds of thousands of troops. If he had WMDs, Saddam would have used them.

To the Gallows with 41, 43, and their gang of crooked cronies! Thier lies cost hundreds if not thousands of American and Foreign lives uselessly wasted to further enrich the already wealthy. If there is a God, they will spend eternity in Hell!

Actually, I agree that it is a bit early to be picking out Bush's jail cell. I also must admit that my confidence is so high that any Bush will do the wrong thing for the wrong reasons that I can barely consider that this war may have been justified. Still, I will wait before passing sentence [since I always have the final say in these matters ] Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised and we will find that the world was on the brink of complete annihilation.

I might be inclined to say that he did the right thing for the wrong reasons, but then again those mass grave sites everyones been tripping on were probably all just a bad dream anyway, well at least somebodies bad dream eh?
I must add though that I have never believed in the WMDs for the following reason: If Saddam had them, we never would have sent in troops to get them. If Saddam was as dangerous as Bush claimed, then Bush also knew that going in was suicide for perhaps hundreds of thousands of troops. If he had WMDs, Saddam would have used them.
Actually, I don't think this holds water. Sadam would have counted on an air attack and then a slower ground movement, the quick rush to baghdad probably threw a lot of plans out of wack. War games also had shown that WMD's would have done little damage to our quick moving forces. He may have also discounted the U.S. full invasion, or there could have been a hundred other abstract and off the wall ideas going through his head, I mean after all he still claimed to have won the first war. His having had WMD's has never been questioned, he had them , we know this because he's used them, this is well documented.
Also, if he doesn't have them the guilt is VERY broad and wide, Bush wasn't the only one that stated they existed. Everyone from Blix to Chirac made statements about their having possessed them and not accounting for disposal.

Originally posted by kat
I might be inclined to say that he did the right thing for the wrong reasons, but then again those mass grave sites everyones been tripping on were probably all just a bad dream anyway, well at least somebodies bad dream eh?

The question is not did he do the right thing; this implies all sorts of moral judgements that could be argued ad infinitum. The question is, did he do a legal thing...or did he crap all over the US Constitution in order to preserve freedom?

Actually, I don't think this holds water. Sadam would have counted on an air attack and then a slower ground movement, the quick rush to baghdad probably threw a lot of plans out of wack. War games also had shown that WMD's would have done little damage to our quick moving forces. He may have also discounted the U.S. full invasion, or there could have been a hundred other abstract and off the wall ideas going through his head, I mean after all he still claimed to have won the first war. His having had WMD's has never been questioned, he had them , we know this because he's used them, this is well documented.
Also, if he doesn't have them the guilt is VERY broad and wide, Bush wasn't the only one that stated they existed. Everyone from Blix to Chirac made statements about their having possessed them and not accounting for disposal.

Well, I know this was the White House hyperbole; and at first I bought into it. But here is the problem that I see with this explanation. If he was so surprised, then why can't we find the weapons? Also, why would we send 60,000 troops to their deaths? We would have taken him out some other way - primarily by air. Bush's strategy betrays his words.