Question about Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser

In summary, the DCQE experiment does not show interference in the first instance, but only after data analysis. The modified experiment does not provide any new insights, as the information about the path of the photons still exists and can be observed in the detector micro-state and environment. The original DCQE experiment, where the light beams are perfectly aligned, can fail to produce interference due to the configuration of the system. It is not appropriate to discuss this system in terms of "information" or "which way", and explanations in these terms may be incorrect.
LikenTs
As almost everybody knows, DCQE experiment only shows interference after the data analysis, never in the first instance, regardless of future events for idler photons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_choice_quantum_eraser

So, my question is, why you cannot see interference with this simple and simetric modified experiment, where there is not which way information?

xBbMm.png

Likes FlorentB
Physics news on Phys.org
What is that triangle with an on/off switch? And what is the switch?

MichPod said:
What is that triangle with an on/off switch?

Nothing, the picture is not mine. I think the original autor wanted to use this experiment for communication, that is not allowed.
As far as my question goes you can ignore that switch.

LikenTs said:
where there is not which way information?

This information still does exist (it is not "erased"). The red and blue rays coming at D4 detector have different momentum coming at different angles. Then this information is absorbed into the detector. We cannot get it, but it still is present first in the detector micro-state and then in the environment.

Upd: and you can see that this is not the case in the original DCQE experiment where two light beams are perfectly aligned by a system of mirrors.

Last edited:
BTW, I am not sure that talking here in terms of "which way" or "information erasure" makes much sense. That is, if I write formulas, I can more or less see how this particular configuration may fail to produce interference pattern, but I am not comfortable to discuss this system in terms of "information", "which way" etc (may be somebody else is? ) and my explanations in these terms may be wrong.

LikenTs said:
As almost everybody knows, DCQE experiment only shows interference after the data analysis, never in the first instance, regardless of future events for idler photons.

So, my question is, why you cannot see interference with this simple and simetric modified experiment, where there is not which way information?

Is your question: "Why is there no interference pattern on the top side, without considering coincidence detection?"

LikenTs said:
I suppose you ask about interference in coincidences judging by first sentence in your post.
Then let me ask, why do you think you cannot see interference? Because I think you can.

Related to Question about Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser

What is a Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser?

A Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that explores the concept of wave-particle duality. It involves an experiment where the observer can choose whether to measure the path or the interference pattern of a photon after it has already passed through the experiment.

How does a Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser work?

In a Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser, a photon is split into two identical particles and sent through a double-slit experiment. One particle goes through a path that allows it to be measured for its path, while the other particle goes through a path that allows it to create an interference pattern on a screen. The decision of whether to measure the path or the interference pattern is made after the particles have already passed through the experiment.

What is the significance of the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment?

The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment challenges our understanding of causality and the nature of reality. It suggests that the observer's choice can retroactively affect the behavior of a particle, even after it has already passed through the experiment.

What are the implications of the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser for the field of quantum mechanics?

The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser highlights the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics. It suggests that particles can exist in multiple states at once and that the observer plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of these particles.

Has the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment been physically demonstrated?

Yes, the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser has been demonstrated in various experiments, including the famous "Quantum Eraser" experiment by physicist John Wheeler in the late 1970s. However, there is still much debate and ongoing research about the interpretation and implications of these experiments.