Question about circular motion

In summary, the person initially had a question about the acceleration in a problem, as they had a negative value but reasoned that it should be positive. However, upon further thought, they realized that the acceleration being negative made sense based on the downward motion of the ball. Another person clarified that the direction of the acceleration depends on how it has been defined, and in this case, the question was asking for the rate of change of speed in a positive direction.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

In picture, i already solved this problem but i had a question about the bottom question..
So i solved for the acceleration and remember that i got a negative value, i then reasoned with the question and put positive value and was correct.. but then i started thinking about it and realized that i would have thought that it was negative.. So now i am wondering why the acceleration was positive at that position?
if you think about this the ball is swinging and on its way down to the bottom of the swing so it should be speeding up right? so i got a negative acceleration value and so to me it makes sense that the velocity would be negative as it was swinging downward and since it was speeding up on the downward path the acceleration being negative makes sense... Can someone please clarify this?
swinging.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Already done

Attachments

• swinging.PNG
    swinging.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 239
Physics news on Phys.org
Being positive or negative depends on how you have defined the directions. In the question they are asking for the rate of change of the speed, which implicitly defines a positive direction for you. If you are using any other definition of directions, you may get a different sign.

Likes isukatphysics69
Orodruin said:
Being positive or negative depends on how you have defined the directions. In the question they are asking for the rate of change of the speed, which implicitly defines a positive direction for you. If you are using any other definition of directions, you may get a different sign.
I see, thank you!

Related to Question about circular motion

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path around a fixed point, known as the center of rotation. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a continuously changing direction of motion.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a force, known as the centripetal force, that acts towards the center of rotation and keeps the object moving in a circular path. This force is necessary to counteract the natural tendency of the object to continue moving in a straight line.

3. What is the difference between circular motion and rotational motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, while rotational motion refers to the spinning of an object around its own axis. In circular motion, the object's distance from the center of rotation remains constant, while in rotational motion, the object's distance from the axis of rotation changes.

4. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some common examples of circular motion include the Earth orbiting around the Sun, a merry-go-round, a satellite orbiting around a planet, and a spinning top. Anything that moves along a circular path can be considered an example of circular motion.

5. How is circular motion related to other types of motion?

Circular motion is a type of periodic motion, meaning that the object repeats the same motion over and over again. It is also a type of rotational motion, as the object is rotating around a fixed point. Additionally, circular motion can be broken down into two components: tangential motion, which is the motion along the circular path, and radial motion, which is the motion towards or away from the center of rotation.