Question about charge density in a solid sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression of surface charge density sigma for a spherical shell located within a uniformly charged solid sphere. It is determined that the surface charge density is equal to the volume charge density multiplied by the thickness of the shell. However, there is some confusion over whether this can be considered a true "surface charge" or just a slice of the volume charge.
LostInToronto
I've already posted this question in the advanced physics forum, but I really think it should go here. My apologies for the double posting.

Homework Statement

If we are given a uniformly charged solid sphere with total charge Q and radius R, then the volume charge density rho is given by

[tex]\rho = \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3}[/tex].

My question is: How do we express the surface charge density sigma of a spherical shell of infinitesimal width dr, located within this solid sphere?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep reading that

[tex]\sigma = \rho dr[/tex]

but I really don't understand why this is the case. If someone could help clear this up, I'd really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, the charge dq contained in a shell of radius r and thickness dr is rho(r) times volume dV=4*pi*r^2*dr. Now surface charge density is charge dq divided by surface area 4*pi*r^2. So I suppose that would give you rho(r)*dr. But I'm not sure I'd really call that a 'surface charge'. I think it's really just a slice of the volume charge.

Thank you.

Related to Question about charge density in a solid sphere

1. What is charge density in a solid sphere?

Charge density in a solid sphere refers to the amount of electric charge per unit volume in a solid sphere. It is usually denoted by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m^3).

2. How is charge density calculated in a solid sphere?

The charge density in a solid sphere can be calculated by dividing the total charge of the sphere by its volume. Mathematically, it can be written as ρ = Q/V, where ρ is the charge density, Q is the total charge, and V is the volume of the sphere.

3. Does charge density vary throughout a solid sphere?

Yes, charge density can vary throughout a solid sphere. This is because the distribution of charge within the sphere may not be uniform. In other words, the charge may be concentrated in certain areas, resulting in a non-uniform charge density.

4. What factors affect the charge density in a solid sphere?

The charge density in a solid sphere can be affected by several factors, such as the total charge of the sphere, the volume of the sphere, and the distribution of charge within the sphere. Additionally, the type of material the sphere is made of can also affect the charge density.

5. How does charge density in a solid sphere relate to electric potential?

Charge density and electric potential are directly related. The electric potential at a certain point within a solid sphere is directly proportional to the charge density at that point. This relationship is described by Gauss's law, which states that the electric field at a point is proportional to the charge density at that point.