Question about being theoretical physicist

In summary, the conversation revolves around the person's interest in becoming a theoretical physicist despite not enjoying experimental physics and struggling with it in labs. The advice given is to consider their strengths in math and programming and pursue a degree in that instead. The importance of understanding and not just focusing on grades is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the idea that having a good lab partner can greatly impact grades in labs.

I am really good at math. Question: should I become a theoretical physicist?

• Yes. You may ignore experimental physics stuff, though.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes. But, you still need to learn experimental physics stuff, regardless if you like it or not.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Nope. Stick with being a mathematician.

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
JWHooper
I need help on this one immediately!

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't provide anything on your background, so how could anyone advise you? Why not read Zapper's guide to being a successful physicist here:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=df5w5j9q_5gj6wmt

They are ridiculous options: have you studied any physics? Do you enjoy physics? If not, then why would you think of being a theoretical physicist?

you should drop everything and become a theoretical physicist immediately.

If you want to become a theoretical physicist, you still need to learn the experimental stuff. Physics is a science, it's equally theoretical and experimental. You don't need to like it or study it in-depth, just enough to understand what can and cannot be tested at the moment.

Well if you absolutely hate experiment then maybe science in general isn't for you. But since you did not give any info about yourself I can't offer any better advice than that.

I second the suggestion that you read Zz's essay.

Okay, guys. I will give my background a little bit.

First of all, I kinda like physics. At the same time, I don't like it too much. I just like equations and numbers part of physics, but when I do experimental physics labs, it bores me to death. I got B- average on my tests, and I think the lab works are almost impossible to accomplish unless if I have a smart lab partner.
On the other hand, I got straight A's on my geometry tests, and I ace every programming stuff.

What should I research in the future?

It sounds like you do not enjoy physics, so I'm not sure why you would contemplate a future in it. That says, in your profile you say you are a high school student, so I don't think you need to be contemplating what you will be undertaking research in. It sounds like you enjoy and are good at maths, so why not consider a degree in that?

I don't think that the fact that you don't like labs detair you from being theoretical/mathematical physicist.

Well I think you too much paying attention to the grades in those classes, I myself not that good at labs, mainly because I'm not the type of monkey who just do the task at hand (which is what the labs are really there for), I also want to understand why and when should the resolution of the machine be counted as a measure of the inaccuracy of the measurement, and when to use other options.

Don't pick a degree judged only by your grades, cause they usually determined not only from you curiosity alone.
For the labs for example, as you said you need a good partner, for example in my first semester I had a terrific partner and in the second semester a horrible one, ofcourse you can do the labs by your own but that would take too much time, so really it's about having a good partner with you that make the grade, at least in labs.

Related to Question about being theoretical physicist

1. What exactly does a theoretical physicist do?

A theoretical physicist is a scientist who uses mathematical models and theories to explain and understand the behavior of physical systems. They often work on abstract concepts and try to develop new theories to explain phenomena that have not yet been fully understood.

2. What education is required to become a theoretical physicist?

To become a theoretical physicist, one typically needs to have a PhD in physics or a closely related field. This requires completing a bachelor's degree in physics, mathematics, or engineering, followed by a master's degree and then a PhD program.

3. What skills are important for a theoretical physicist to have?

A strong foundation in mathematics and analytical thinking is crucial for a theoretical physicist. They also need to have excellent problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and the ability to think abstractly and creatively.

4. Can a theoretical physicist work in other fields besides academia?

Yes, theoretical physicists can also work in industries such as technology, finance, and government. Their skills in mathematical modeling and problem-solving are highly sought after in these fields.

5. What are some current areas of research in theoretical physics?

Some current areas of research in theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, cosmology, string theory, and particle physics. There is also a growing interest in interdisciplinary fields such as biophysics, where physicists use their knowledge to study biological systems.