Question about axis of rotation for torque (would really appreciate some help)

In summary, the person is seeking help with a question about torque, specifically about the axis of rotation and the lever arm. They provide a link to a website for further information.
starburst
Hi Guys so I would really appreciate if I could get some help with this question I have, I have a test in a couple days!

So we are learning about torque and there are a couple components of torque that I'm a bit confused about.

1. Is the axis of rotation a line or just a point?

2. Is the lever arm the shortest length b/t the "line of action" and the axis?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
starburst said:
1. Is the axis of rotation a line or just a point?
A line.

2. Is the lever arm the shortest length b/t the "line of action" and the axis?
Yes.

You want to browse this site: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/torcon.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Question about axis of rotation for torque (would really appreciate some help)

1. What is the axis of rotation for torque?

The axis of rotation for torque is an imaginary line that passes through the pivot point or center of rotation of an object. It is the point around which the object rotates or spins.

2. How is the axis of rotation determined?

The axis of rotation can be determined by identifying the point where the object is fixed or pivoted. This can be done by observing the direction in which the object rotates or by using mathematical calculations.

3. Can the axis of rotation change?

Yes, the axis of rotation can change depending on the forces acting on the object. If the object is subject to external forces or torques, the axis of rotation may shift or change direction.

4. Is the axis of rotation always perpendicular to the applied force?

No, the axis of rotation is not always perpendicular to the applied force. It can be parallel or at an angle to the applied force, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force.

5. How does the axis of rotation affect torque?

The axis of rotation plays a crucial role in determining the direction and magnitude of torque. The distance between the axis of rotation and the point of application of the force affects the value of torque, with a greater distance resulting in a larger torque.