Question about Axioms and Theorems

• Thread starter Salt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axioms
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deducing an axiom from the theorems. It is concluded that while it is possible to deduce axioms from theorems in some cases, it is not always possible and there are situations where one cannot get back to a specific theorem or axiom. It is also mentioned that the axioms of a mathematical theory are simply the collection of statements from which deductions are made, and there is no inherent meaning attached to them. Additionally, the concept of "working backwards" from theorems to axioms is questioned and it is suggested that this may not always be possible.
Salt
Okey, this might be a silly question.
I know that theorems are deduced logically from the axioms. But I was just wondering is it possible to deduce an axiom from the theorems? In another words work backward, assuming the required theorems are known.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Basically, they are identities. Some theorems do lead to axioms, by deduction. Theorems take an axiom and make predictions. Once confirmed by observation, they lead to more axioms.

Generally you can deduce the axioms from theorems. In particular you can very easily deduce the axioms from themselves! :smile:

I suspect, however, you are attaching some extra (and unwarranted) meaning to the word "axiom".

The axioms of a mathematical theory are merely the collection of statements from which deductions are made in that theory -- nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Generally, "A implies B" does NOT mean that "B implies A". you cannot generally reverse the "proving" process.

Hurkyl said:
The axioms of a mathematical theory are merely the collection of statements from which deductions are made in that theory -- nothing more, nothing less.

Well, that does seem to be what I thought they are, with the addition view that it's they are the most fundamental.

HallsofIvy said:
Generally, "A implies B" does NOT mean that "B implies A". you cannot generally reverse the "proving" process.

I was sort of thinking.

if I know :
{
Axioms -

A implies B
B implies C
C implies D

theorem -

therefore A implies D

}

later I forget : C implies D

but remembering the rest, will I be able to recontruct C implies D?
:confused:

Last edited:
I really wonder what you mean by deducing axioms from theoroms...

...certainly in physics, one might be able to deduce laws from a collection of experiences or equations, but since math is not directly based on reality, how could one possibly derive axioms?

It is in some ways.

Lets say we are given all the axioms of a field except the axiom of additive identity and instead we are given the theorum 1*0 = 0. From the this theorum and the other axioms it is possible to deduce the axiom of additive identity (1*0 + a = 0 + a, 1*(a - a + a) = 0 + a, a = 0 + a).

isnt it also possible to create an experimentally *correct* theorem, and then taking the assumtions you made and making them "axioms"? is that right? I am not sure if I understand this correctly.

Salt said:
Okey, this might be a silly question.
I know that theorems are deduced logically from the axioms. But I was just wondering is it possible to deduce an axiom from the theorems? In another words work backward, assuming the required theorems are known.

Proving an axiom in a logical system is, as Hurky pointed out, rather trivial and circular.

What does happen is that mathematicians do research to find out what kind of axioms make for an interesting system. That is, people look at a list of results that they want to be true, and then look at possible axioms that make those results true.

A familiar example of an axiom that was probably introduced is from geometry -- given a line, and a point, there is only one line parralel to the original line that goes through the point. It turns out that geometry can work without this axiom which is why there is the study of spherical and hyperbolic geometry in addition to plane geometry.

jcsd said:
It is in some ways.

Lets say we are given all the axioms of a field except the axiom of additive identity and instead we are given the theorum 1*0 = 0. From the this theorum and the other axioms it is possible to deduce the axiom of additive identity (1*0 + a = 0 + a, 1*(a - a + a) = 0 + a, a = 0 + a).

Ah, nice. An example. :smile: At least now I know it's possible.

Well, thank you everyone for their replys.

This question actually came to me while I was browsing through Prof. Feynman - Character of Physical Law. In it he says that he does not remember all that much, what ever he forgets , he just derives from what he knows. Later should he forget the thing he use too know, he derive it backwards from the new stuff he just derive awhile back. So he can jump from theorem to theorem.

What I wonder was can one jump back to the fundamental axioms/first principles? Actually he feels that there are no fundamental axioms/first principles from what I read, and it doesn't matter where you start.

So I wonder if there is a situation where one can't get back to some theorem or axiom, if the required set of information is given.

Well after all this, I have come to the conclusion it's safe to assume that Prof. Feynman is right or at least most of the time. That with enough information one can derive any part out.

PS : Not to doubt him or anything, although he probably won't be all that offend, as I get the impression that he feel doubting stuff is a healthy thing. It's just that it's been 30+ year, i wonder if anyone found a counterexample. :smile:

Salt said:
I was sort of thinking.

if I know :
{
Axioms -

A implies B
B implies C
C implies D

theorem -

therefore A implies D

}

later I forget : C implies D

but remembering the rest, will I be able to recontruct C implies D?
:confused:

You won't be able to deduce C implies D in the above scenario. Let's simplify the problem by saying that we're given "A implies C" and "A implies D," and we're asked whether or not the statement "C implies D" logically follows. To show that it does not logically follow, we just have to conceive of a scenario where "A implies C" and "A implies D" are true but "C implies D" is false. Here is one such scenario:

A: X is a square.
C: X has 4 sides.
D: X is a rectangle.

In the wider context of your question, this doesn't imply that Feynman's techniques are flawed. For instance, it could be that Feynman's techniques are valid, but the specific way you framed the scenario above is not an accurate depiction of what Feynman was actually doing.

Well I suppose then what Prof. Feynman does might be more along the lines of:

Crude example:

square implies:
  • has 4 sides
  • all sides are equal
  • angle between 2 side is 90
  • 2 connecting sides times one another gives you the area of the figure

has 4 sides implies :
  • square or
  • rectangle or
  • rombus or
  • parrallogram

all sides are equal implies:
  • square or
  • rombus

angle between 2 side is 90 implies:
  • square or
  • rectangle

later we forget that :

square implies:
Remembering only the first 3.

And given the theorem :

unknown X is
  • has 4 sides
  • all sides are equal
  • angle between 2 side is 90

Which we know for sure is true.

Since the only thing we know that has the first 3 properties is a square.
Therefore X = square, since it's equal:

square implies:

Or something along these line. I might have screwed up somewhere. :smile:

Related to Question about Axioms and Theorems

1. What is the difference between an axiom and a theorem?

An axiom is a statement that is considered to be true without needing to be proven, while a theorem is a statement that is proven to be true based on previously established axioms or theorems.

2. How are axioms and theorems used in mathematics?

Axioms and theorems are used as the foundations and building blocks for mathematical proofs. Axioms provide the starting point for proof, and theorems are used to build upon and prove new statements.

3. Can axioms and theorems be changed or disproven?

Axioms are considered to be self-evident truths and therefore cannot be changed. However, theorems can be changed or disproven if a counterexample is found or if new information is discovered that contradicts the theorem.

4. How do axioms and theorems relate to each other?

Axioms are the fundamental principles that theorems are built upon. Theorems are derived from axioms and can be used to prove other theorems, creating a hierarchy of mathematical knowledge.

5. Are there different types of axioms and theorems?

Yes, there are different types of axioms and theorems in mathematics depending on the specific branch or field. For example, in geometry, Euclid's axioms are used, while in algebra, there are different sets of axioms known as field axioms and group axioms.