Question About Archimedes ? HELP

• Thread starter W24JBLV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Archimedes
In summary, Archimedes resolved the problem of the crown by dipping it in water and determining its density based on the water level. This is related to other fluid problems and googling the topic helped find the solution. It is not related to the other problem mentioned, but is in the same chapter. The individual was unable to resolve the oil/water problem, which could have helped them achieve a higher grade.
W24JBLV
Question About Archimedes ? HELP!

How Did Archimedes Resolve the problem of the Crown ?

Physics news on Phys.org
oh, I saw a documentary on that. I think he dipped the crown in water, and found out depending on the water level, the density of the gold? This is related to your other post isn't it, the oil water question? What is it with all these fluid problems?

mathPimpDaddy said:
oh, I saw a documentary on that. I think he dipped the crown in water, and found out depending on the water level, the density of the gold? This is related to your other post isn't it, the oil water question? What is it with all these fluid problems?

Thanks for your help! :smile:
I "googled the topic and found what i was looking for!

No it's not related to the other problem, but it is in the same
chapter.

I couldn't resolve the oil/water problem i really needed it so i could have
40 points in my class which could help me get a C or B..
But what can i do!

Related to Question About Archimedes ? HELP

1. Who was Archimedes and what was his contribution to science?

Archimedes was a renowned Greek scientist, mathematician, and inventor who lived in the third century BC. He is best known for his contributions to the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering, including his famous principle of buoyancy and his work on the lever and pulley systems.

2. What is Archimedes' principle and how does it work?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This explains why objects float or sink in water and is the basis for many modern day inventions, such as submarines and hot air balloons.

3. What is the story behind Archimedes' "Eureka" moment?

According to legend, Archimedes shouted "Eureka!" (meaning "I have found it!") when he discovered the principle of buoyancy while taking a bath. He noticed that the water level rose when he got into the tub, and this observation led him to the realization of the buoyant force.

4. What other inventions is Archimedes known for?

In addition to his contributions to mathematics and physics, Archimedes is also known for inventing various machines and devices, such as the Archimedes screw, which was used for irrigation and to remove water from ships, and the odometer, a device for measuring distances.

5. How did Archimedes impact the field of mathematics?

Archimedes made significant contributions to the field of mathematics, including his work on calculating the area of a circle and the volume of a sphere. He also developed methods for approximating the value of pi and is credited with laying the foundations for integral calculus.