Question about an experiment relating to Hooke's Law

In summary, the student has conducted an experiment to measure electrostatic force using a torsion balance and plotted ln(theta) against ln(R) at a constant voltage. However, the issue arises when the logarithm of theta becomes negative due to it being measured in radians. The student's lab instructor is not available to provide guidance. The student is also unsure about how to perform a best and worst slope analysis, as suggested in an error analysis manual, where the line is supposed to "clip" or "cross" all error bars. The student is unsure if their graph is correct and is having difficulty drawing the best and worst slopes on the left side of the y-axis.
Kevin9679

Homework Statement

So I have done an experiment where electrostatic force is measured by the angle displacement of a torsion balance. I graphed ln(theta) with respect to ln(R) where the voltage is kept constant. The problem is that assuming theta is in radians, it is very easy for the log of theta to be negative. So I am looking at a graph where points are to the left of the y-axis, and I have no idea if it's right or not. My lab instructor is not answering his emails over the weekend, so he's not answering me.

Another thing is that I have no idea how to do a best and worst slope analysis. I looked at an error analysis manual, and it said that you're supposed to "hand draw" the best and worst slopes, so that the line "clips" or "crosses" all error bars. But what if that's impossible? I am thoroughly confused.

2. Homework Equations [/b

theta=c1(R^n)(V2^p)

where n is the relationship between theta and R (and it's supposed to be -2), and p is the relationship between the voltage and theta (Is it 1? I'm not sure)

The Attempt at a Solution

Hopefully attached

Attachments

• ex1ph2004.xls
    23.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is my graph. As you can see, the log of theta is negative for the most part. I'm not sure if this is correct or not. As for the best and worst slope analysis, I tried hand drawing the best and worst slopes in the graph, but it's difficult to do that when it's on the left side of the y-axis. Is there another way to do this?

Related to Question about an experiment relating to Hooke's Law

1. What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to experiments?

Hooke's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This law can be used to design experiments to investigate the relationship between force and displacement in a spring.

2. What materials are needed to conduct an experiment on Hooke's Law?

To conduct an experiment on Hooke's Law, you will need a spring, a ruler or measuring tape, weights or masses, and a support stand. It is also helpful to have a data collection tool, such as a graphing calculator or computer software, to record and analyze the data.

3. How do you set up an experiment to test Hooke's Law?

To set up an experiment to test Hooke's Law, you will need to attach one end of the spring to a fixed point, such as a support stand, and the other end to a weight hanger. Use the ruler or measuring tape to measure the length of the spring without any weight attached. Then, add weights to the hanger and measure the new length of the spring. Repeat this process with different weights and record the force and displacement data.

4. What are the potential sources of error in an experiment on Hooke's Law?

Some potential sources of error in an experiment on Hooke's Law include inaccuracies in measuring the length of the spring, variations in the elasticity of the spring, and the effects of air resistance on the weights. It is important to take multiple readings and average the results to minimize these errors.

5. How do you analyze the data from an experiment on Hooke's Law?

To analyze the data from an experiment on Hooke's Law, you can plot a graph of force vs. displacement and use the slope of the line to calculate the spring constant, which represents the stiffness of the spring. You can also compare your results to the theoretical predictions based on Hooke's Law and identify any discrepancies or sources of error.