Question about an armonic sound wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of harmonic waves and whether they can be considered as a systematic error when studying sound in non-ideal gas conditions. The conclusion is that while a perfect harmonic wave may not be possible, it can still be used as an approximation to describe real waves through Fourier integrals.
Rebollex
We usually describe the sound as an armonic wave while studying it's frecuency or wavelength. My doubt is if that means that we consider the air an ideal gas, so that it can affect to the result as a sistematic error. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rebollex said:
We usually describe the sound as an armonic wave while studying it's frecuency or wavelength. My doubt is if that means that we consider the air an ideal gas, so that it can affect to the result as a sistematic error. Thanks!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What's an "armonic wave"? Do you mean "harmonic"? Can you post a link to what you are asking about?

Yeah, sorry, I'm Spanish and I usually commit errors while typing. I meant harmonic waves

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. [emoji2]

What's an "armonic wave"? Do you mean "harmonic"? Can you post a link to what you are asking about?
But the question is if a mechanic harmonic wave in a non ideal gas can be possible. In the theory, the harmonic waves need elastic collision... The thing is because I'm doing a practice to calculate the sound's speed by analysing a stationary wave show that I change the frequency of the sound and it produces a change in the wavelength. While calculating the speed of the sound, Is it a sistematic error to use a harmonic waves' equations if the air isn't an ideal gas?

A harmonic wave in the strict sense is never really possible since it would need to have an infinite amount of energy to create it. Under some circumstances you can have good approximations to a harmonic plane wave in some finite region of space.

vanhees71 said:
A harmonic wave in the strict sense is never really possible since it would need to have an infinite amount of energy to create it. Under some circumstances you can have good approximations to a harmonic plane wave in some finite region of space.
Allright, so then assuming that the sound is a harmonic wave can be a sistematic error? Thanks very much![emoji4]

The point of harmonic waves is that you can describe any "real" wave as a superposition of harmonic waves in the sense of Fourier integrals.

Likes Rebollex
vanhees71 said:
The point of harmonic waves is that you can describe any "real" wave as a superposition of harmonic waves in the sense of Fourier integrals.
Now I got it! Thank you!

Related to Question about an armonic sound wave

1. What is an armonic sound wave?

An armonic sound wave is a type of sound wave that has a sinusoidal or wave-like shape. This means that the pressure and displacement of air particles follow a regular pattern, with equal amounts of compression and rarefaction. It is also known as a pure tone because it contains only one frequency.

2. How is the frequency of an armonic sound wave measured?

The frequency of an armonic sound wave is measured in hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second. This can be measured using a sound frequency meter or by counting the number of waves that pass a fixed point in a given amount of time.

3. What are the characteristics of an armonic sound wave?

Armonic sound waves have several key characteristics, including frequency, amplitude, and wavelength. Frequency refers to the number of cycles per second and determines the pitch of the sound. Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of air particles and determines the loudness of the sound. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points of equal phase and is related to the frequency of the sound.

4. How does an armonic sound wave travel through air?

An armonic sound wave travels through air as a series of compressions and rarefactions. When an object creates a sound, it causes air particles to vibrate, creating areas of high and low pressure. These pressure changes travel through the air as a wave, reaching our ears and allowing us to hear the sound.

5. What are some real-life examples of armonic sound waves?

Armonic sound waves can be found in many everyday sounds, such as a tuning fork, a guitar string, or a whistle. They are also present in musical instruments, human voices, and natural phenomena like thunder and birdsong. In addition, armonic sound waves are used in various technologies, such as ultrasound imaging and sonar systems.