Question About an Application of Implicit Function Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the implicit function theorem and the existence of a function that contains both x and z in its domain. It is shown that by using the implicit function theorem, the functions y = f(x) and y = g(z) can be derived. It is then questioned whether a function y = h(x,z) can exist, and it is concluded that it does exist by combining the solutions of f(x) and g(z). The conversation also addresses concerns about the domain of h and clarifies that the existence of h follows from the existence of f and g.
nonmathtype
Hi everyone,

I do economics but am very poor at Math. I had a specific and perhaps silly question about the implicit function theorem, but will be grateful for an urgent response.

Suppose we have a function, U(x, y).
x and another variable z are linearly related so the function can also be specified as U(z,y) by substituting z for x.

It can be shown by using the implicit function theorem that y = f(x), and also separately that y = g(z) such that U(x,y)=0 and U(z,y)= 0 respectively.

Is it them possible to conclude that y = h(x,z) exists ?

Thank you in advance !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey nonmathtype and welcome to the forums.

You haven't specified what the function h is not explicitly or implicitly as a relationship to your other functions. What properties of h did you have in mind?

Hi Chiro, thank you so much for your response.

Actually I am not interested in any specific functional form or properties of h. All I am looking for is its existence.

So it is clear that both f and g will exist by the implicit function theorem as mentioned above (because the partial derivative of U with respect to y is not zero, and U is continuously differentiable by assumption. These are both functions with a single argument (single variable functions) i.e y = f(x) and y = g(z).

Does this imply that a function that contains both x and z in the domain will exist as well i.e y = h(x,z) ?

You should be able to do that both for explicit and implicit representations of the functions.

For example if you can't get z = r(x) (i.e. an explicit function of x) then provided you have a function for y = f(x) and y = g(z), then you can add them together and divide by 2 to get y = 1/2(f(x) + g(z)) = h(x,z).

I'm assuming your assumptions where you have existence of y = f(x) and y = g(z) and I'm assuming they point to the same variable y.

Also since you didn't mention the functional form, I assume you just want to find any function with h(z,x) so the one provided which is a linear combination of the two solutions does satisfy the requirement at least.

Thanks a lot chiro, it is much appreciated :-) Yes your assumptions about what I was trying to say are correct...both y = f(x) and y = g(z) point to the same y.

I did not realize that it could be so obvious ! I was worried regarding the fact that the domain of both f and g is R1, whereas the domain of the proposed function h is R2. So I did not think that the existence of h on the basis of existence of f and g would follow in such a straightforward way.

Once again, thanks a lot !

Related to Question About an Application of Implicit Function Theorem

What is the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that under certain conditions, a function can be defined implicitly by an equation rather than explicitly. This means that the function's output can be expressed in terms of its inputs, even if it is not possible to solve for the function explicitly.

How is the Implicit Function Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Implicit Function Theorem has many practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to study the behavior of systems that cannot be easily described by explicit equations, such as fluid flow, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions. It is also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the optimal value of a variable that is not directly observable.

What are the conditions for the Implicit Function Theorem to hold?

The Implicit Function Theorem has three conditions that must be met for it to hold: the function must be continuously differentiable, the partial derivative of the function with respect to the dependent variable must not be zero, and the equation must be satisfied at the point in question. If these conditions are met, then the theorem guarantees the existence and uniqueness of a solution to the equation.

What is the difference between the Implicit Function Theorem and the Inverse Function Theorem?

While both the Implicit Function Theorem and the Inverse Function Theorem are used to study the behavior of functions, they have different applications. The Implicit Function Theorem deals with functions that cannot be explicitly solved for, while the Inverse Function Theorem deals with functions that can be inverted to find the input given the output. The conditions for each theorem also differ, with the Inverse Function Theorem requiring the function to be continuously differentiable and the derivative to be non-zero at the point in question.

Can the Implicit Function Theorem be extended to functions with multiple variables?

Yes, the Implicit Function Theorem can be extended to functions with multiple variables, known as the Multivariable Implicit Function Theorem. This theorem states that under certain conditions, a system of equations can be solved for a subset of the variables in terms of the remaining variables. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus and optimization problems.