Question about alpha particles

In summary: Radium nucleus, the momentum is 0 since it is at rest. So after the reaction, the total momentum must still be 0, which means that the alpha particle and the Radon nucleus must have equal but opposite momentums. This is why they move off in opposite directions.In summary, Radium decays emitting alpha particles into Radon, with the two particles moving off in opposite directions due to the conservation of momentum. The ratio of the alpha particle's speed to the Radon nucleus's speed after the reaction is 55.5, as the alpha particle is much smaller and receives almost all of the released energy.
IB1
Radium decays emitting alpha particles into Radon.

i) Explain, in terms of momentum of the particles, why the radon nucleus and the alpha particles move off in opposite directions after the reaction.

ii) The speed of the radon nucleus after the reaction is [tex] v_{R} [/tex] and that of the alpha particle is [tex] v_{\alpha} [/tex]. Show that the ratio [tex] \frac{v_{\alpha}}{v_{R}} [/tex] is equal to 55.5

The Attempt at a Solution

i) To me it is just common sense that Radon and the alpha particle move off in opposite directions because they simply don't want to be together. Radium is trying to get rid of the alpha particle, so when it splits, it's parts just try to go away from each other as much as possible. But I'm not sure whether this answer is correct ?

ii) The mass of the Radon is about 55.5 times greater than the mass of alpha particle. This means that, if after the reaction the same energy is given to both, the alpha particle and Radon, then alpha particle is going to move 55.5 faster than Radon. The problem is that in my book it is written:
"Since alpha particle, when ejected, is much smaller than the parent nucleus, it receives almost all of the energy released in the form of Kinetic Energy."

OK, here it says that indeed, alpha particles have higher energy, but it doesn't say that alpha particles and Radon get the same amount of energy, and since their mass ratio is 55.5, then obviously alpha particle is going to move faster!

P.S- This is supposed to be a simple question.

Physics news on Phys.org
i) Apply conservation of momentum to find the answer. Consider that at first the Radium nucleus is resting. What do you get?

Hint: You could also suggest that both nuclei will be moving towards the same direction after the decay, and prove yourself wrong.

ii) Since the mass of the Radon nucleus is 55,5 times the mass of an alpha particle, try substituting the masses in the above taken conservation of momentum, to get the answer.

I hope I've helped!

No both nuclei won't go in the same direction

Related to Question about alpha particles

1. What are alpha particles?

Alpha particles are a type of ionizing radiation that consist of two protons and two neutrons bound together. They are typically emitted from the nuclei of radioactive elements during the process of decay.

2. How are alpha particles different from other types of radiation?

Alpha particles have a relatively large mass and a positive charge, which makes them less penetrating than other forms of radiation such as beta particles or gamma rays. They can be stopped by a sheet of paper or a few centimeters of air, while other forms of radiation require thicker shielding.

3. Are alpha particles harmful to humans?

Alpha particles can be harmful if they come into contact with living tissue, as their positive charge can cause damage to cells and DNA. However, they are less likely to cause harm than other forms of radiation because of their limited penetrating power.

4. How are alpha particles used in science and technology?

Alpha particles have several important uses in science and technology, including in medical imaging and cancer treatment, industrial processes such as detecting leaks in pipes, and in smoke detectors. They can also be used in research to study the properties of materials and nuclear reactions.

5. Where do alpha particles come from in nature?

Alpha particles occur naturally in the environment as a result of the decay of radioactive elements such as uranium and radium. They can also be produced artificially through nuclear reactions in reactors or particle accelerators.