Question about a quote I heard

• Thread starter Eru_JRRT
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the quote "if we knew the location and velocity of every particle in the universe we could predict every action and reaction from now until the end of time" is often attributed to Isaac Newton, but it actually originated from Pierre Simon Laplace in his 1814 publication on causal determinism. However, this quote is no longer considered accurate in light of Quantum Mechanics.
Eru_JRRT
A long time ago I heard a quote that went along the lines of "if we knew the location and velocity of every particle in the universe we could predict every action and reaction from now until the end of time." I'm thinking this idea may have come from Issac Newton as his third law would seem to have a connection it.

My question is if any of you know where this quote/idea originated from? I'd like to use the idea in a personal project of mine but have no where to source it from.

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace
In 1814, Laplace published what is usually known as the first articulation of causal or scientific determinism:[39]

We may regard the present state of the universe as the effect of its past and the cause of its future. An intellect which at a certain moment would know all forces that set nature in motion, and all positions of all items of which nature is composed, if this intellect were also vast enough to submit these data to analysis, it would embrace in a single formula the movements of the greatest bodies of the universe and those of the tiniest atom; for such an intellect nothing would be uncertain and the future just like the past would be present before its eyes.

—Pierre Simon Laplace, A Philosophical Essay on Probabilities[40]

Note that in the light of Quantum Mechanics this quote isn't accurate anymore.

The quote you are referring to is known as Laplace's demon, which is a thought experiment proposed by French mathematician and astronomer Pierre-Simon Laplace in the 19th century. It is based on the principles of determinism, which suggest that all events in the universe are caused by previous events and that everything is predetermined.

Laplace's demon states that if an entity were to know the precise location and velocity of every particle in the universe, and had enough computational power to analyze all the data, it could accurately predict the future of the universe. This concept is closely related to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

However, it is important to note that Laplace's demon is a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible in reality. The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics and the chaotic nature of complex systems make it impossible to know the exact state of every particle in the universe.

In terms of sourcing the quote, you can reference Laplace's work "A Philosophical Essay on Probabilities" where he discusses this idea in detail. I hope this helps with your project.

Related to Question about a quote I heard

1. What does the quote mean?

The meaning of a quote can vary depending on the context and the person interpreting it. It's important to understand the background and context of the quote to fully grasp its meaning.

2. Who said the quote?

The person who said the quote is usually credited along with the quote. If you're unsure, you can do some research to find out the source of the quote.

3. Is the quote accurate?

This question can be difficult to answer as it depends on the source of the quote and the accuracy of the information. It's always best to fact-check and verify the quote before using it.

4. How can I use this quote in my work?

If you're looking to use a quote in your work, it's important to properly cite the source and give credit to the original creator. Make sure the quote fits within the context of your work and supports your message.

5. What is the significance of the quote?

The significance of a quote can vary depending on its context and how it relates to the bigger picture. It's important to analyze the quote and understand its significance in order to fully appreciate its meaning.