Question about a g-force meter

In summary, the conversation discusses a g-force meter in a new Camaro that measures lateral force, not acceleration or deceleration. The question is raised about whether the meter measures the g-force parallel to the Earth's surface or parallel to the car's horizontal axis. It is suggested that it measures parallel to the car's horizontal axis. The conversation also delves into the topic of banked turns and the effects on lateral g-forces, with a conclusion that the driver would feel both lateral and upwards forces. It is noted that Formula 1 race cars have more sophisticated g-force meters that measure forces on all three axes.
infiniteLoop
I few weeks ago I purchased a new Camaro with a Head's Up Display and among the data presented is a g-force meter. The meter does not show acceleration or deceleration; instead it is strictly lateral. Yesterday I entered a long and banked on-ramp to a freeway and the g-force meter reached 0.46g.

I realize one of the components of the equation for calculating a g-force number is speed. Note I said above the ramp is banked. All things being equal, had the ramp been flat and the same speed would the g-force meter show the same number?

Another question: like I mentioned above, there is no acceleration/deceleration reading - it is all lateral. Suppose, we take the same car to a place like Daytona or Talladega with high banked turns. Will the g-force reading still show? I've never driven on a race track with high banking, but would that not be a downward force rather than a lateral force acting on the car? Would the g-force meter still show a higher reading?

Thank you for your time and any insight into these questions...

Physics news on Phys.org
infiniteLoop said:
I purchased a new Camaro with a Head's Up Display and among the data presented is a g-force meter. The meter does not show acceleration or deceleration; instead it is strictly lateral.

how you say it is lateral?
well if your meter has GPS connectivity it can give you acceleration in all three directions-android g-force meters even give the plotted graphs -as to how your velocity /acceleration is changing.
post some details about your meter.

drvrm said:
how you say it is lateral?

Lateral in the sense it gives a reading when turning. Not when accelerating or decelerating.

Screenshot from the owner's manual:

hud.jpg

infiniteLoop said:
Note I said above the ramp is banked. All things being equal, had the ramp been flat and the same speed would the g-force meter show the same number?
If "lateral" is relative to the car (as I suspect): no.
If "lateral" is always horizontal: yes.

Likes billy_joule
A.T. said:
If "lateral" is relative to the car (as I suspect): no.
If "lateral" is always horizontal: yes.
So, that's really the question: does it measure the g-force parallel to the Earth's surface or parallel to the car's horizontal axis? I would think it is parallel to the car's horizontal axis, since that is what determines if the car will skid through a turn.

russ_watters said:
I would think it is parallel to the car's horizontal axis, since that is what determines if the car will skid through a turn.

I'd agree.
It would be dangerous/misleading to do otherwise.

You could try driving slow enough on the banked ramp to see if the lateral acceleration goes to zero or negative on the banked ramp.

Thanks to all your replies. I appreciate it.

rcgldr said:
You could try driving slow enough on the banked ramp to see if the lateral acceleration goes to zero or negative on the banked ramp.

Indeed. I'll try the ramp at different speeds and see what happens. Unfortunately the gauge on the HUD is not accurate enough to go negative. It will just read zero.

OK - so here is a twist on my original question: I'm watching the NASCAR race from Las Vegas and the turns there are banked. Would the driver feel a lateral push across the horizontal plane in his seat, or would this be more like an aircraft and the load would be on his arse? I would speculate it would be both...

rcgldr said:

infiniteLoop said:
Indeed. I'll try the ramp at different speeds and see what happens. Unfortunately the gauge on the HUD is not accurate enough to go negative. It will just read zero.
I won't show negative, but it may show a positive value if the car is going slow enough that the banked turn is applying an "outwards" force on the car due to the slope.

infiniteLoop said:
OK - so here is a twist on my original question: I'm watching the NASCAR race from Las Vegas and the turns there are banked. Would the driver feel a lateral push across the horizontal plane in his seat, or would this be more like an aircraft and the load would be on his arse? I would speculate it would be both...
If following a slow moving pace car, the drivers will feel the car exerting an "outwards" force on their bodies. If at racing speeds, the drivers feel the car exerting an "inwards" force on their bodies. There is a speed between pace and racing speeds where the drivers would only sense an "upwards" force from the car (a coordinated banked turn).

rcgldr said:
I won't show negative, but it may show a positive value if the car is going slow enough that the banked turn is applying an "outwards" force on the car due to the slope.

If following a slow moving pace car, the drivers will feel the car exerting an "outwards" force on their bodies. If at racing speeds, the drivers feel the car exerting an "inwards" force on their bodies. There is a speed between pace and racing speeds where the drivers would only sense an "upwards" force from the car (a coordinated banked turn).

Thank you! :)

And yes, the F1 gauge is much more sophisticated than the one in the production car. That one does measure acce/decel .

If there is a parking lot with sideways sloped parking slots, and if the slope is sufficient, you may be able to get a non-zero reading from the lateral g-force meter while not moving. It depends on how the g-force meter is implemented.

Formula 1 race cars can sense acceleration and internal forces (like down force from wings, suspension loads) on all 3 axis (forwards / backwards, left / right, up / down).

rcgldr said:
If there is a parking lot with sideways sloped parking slots, and if the slope is sufficient, you may be able to get a non-zero reading from the lateral g-force meter while not moving. It depends on how the g-force meter is implemented.

Interesting! I need to find what you describe. It would be interesting to take a picture of that. Hmmmm...

Related to Question about a g-force meter

1. What is a g-force meter and how does it work?

A g-force meter, also known as an accelerometer, is a device that measures the acceleration forces acting on an object. It works by using a mass suspended by springs, which moves in response to the acceleration forces and creates an electrical signal that is measured by the device.

2. What are the units of measurement for a g-force meter?

The units of measurement for a g-force meter can vary, but they are typically expressed in g-forces, which is a multiple of the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second squared). Some g-force meters may also use other units such as meters per second squared or miles per hour squared.

3. What are the practical applications of a g-force meter?

A g-force meter is commonly used in the aerospace industry to measure the forces acting on aircraft and spacecraft. It is also used in the automotive industry to test the performance of vehicles and in sports to track the movements and impacts of athletes.

4. Can a g-force meter measure negative g-forces?

Yes, a g-force meter can measure both positive and negative g-forces. Positive g-forces occur when an object is accelerating in the same direction as the Earth's gravity, while negative g-forces occur when an object is accelerating in the opposite direction.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a g-force meter?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when using a g-force meter. It is important to properly calibrate and maintain the device to ensure accurate measurements. In addition, when using the device, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and wear appropriate protective gear, especially in high-risk environments such as during aerospace testing or extreme sports activities.