Question about a Discrete Structures class

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student who is in the process of transferring schools and is considering taking a Discrete Structures class. This class is described as covering topics such as combinatorics, number theory, set theory, algorithms, Boolean algebra, graphs, logic, induction, and matrices. The student is wondering if it will be difficult to take this class alongside Calculus III. The response is that there should not be a problem as the two classes cover different areas of math.
sEsposito
I'm in a bit of a hairy situation right now. Spring 2010 will be my last semester at my current school studying Forensic Science, and in the fall I'll be transferring to a physics program at another school. I'm trying to get some classes in that will help me in th fall before I leave but there's not many options. I'm enrolled in a 3rd semester of Calculus and some basic courses that are required at any college (GOV 101 etc..). There is an opening in a Discrete Structures class that fits perfectly into my schedule and I was just wondering if anyone here can recommend that I take it or not. I'm not really sure what Discrete Structures involves, but from what I gather it is the opposite of Calculus and Analysis, so will it be a problem for me to take both together? I'm just looking for any opinions and guidance... Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Delete please, I posted in wrong thread

The syllabi in these classes vary quite a bit in my experience. You'll probably see a little bit of combinatorics, number theory, set theory, algorithms, Boolean algebra, graphs, logic, induction, matrices, etc. They touch on a lot of things, but never go into too much depth.

You're correct, the class gets it's name because it coveres the opposite of continuous, which is the domain of calculus and analysis. You should be perfectly fine taking this class and Calc III together.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the advice and the discription.

Related to Question about a Discrete Structures class

1. What is a Discrete Structures class?

A Discrete Structures class is a course that covers the fundamental mathematical concepts and structures used in computer science, including logic, sets, functions, relations, graphs, and algorithms.

2. Why is a Discrete Structures class important for computer science students?

A Discrete Structures class is important for computer science students because it teaches the foundational concepts and structures that are essential for understanding and solving complex problems in computer science and other related fields.

3. What are some common topics covered in a Discrete Structures class?

Some common topics covered in a Discrete Structures class include propositional and predicate logic, proof techniques, sets and set operations, functions and relations, graph theory, and algorithms and their complexity.

4. Is a strong background in mathematics necessary for a Discrete Structures class?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not always necessary for a Discrete Structures class. The course typically starts with basic mathematical concepts and builds upon them, so as long as you have a solid understanding of basic algebra and logic, you should be able to succeed in the class.

5. What career paths can a Discrete Structures class lead to?

A Discrete Structures class can lead to a variety of career paths, including software engineering, data analysis, cryptography, and artificial intelligence. It provides a strong foundation for further studies in computer science and related fields.