Question about a cross section from PDG

In summary, there is some confusion regarding the correct form of the cross section at Eq 50.25 in the provided link. Some references show a denominator term of \frac{1}{s\Gamma}, while others show \frac{1}{M\Gamma}. However, both expressions are similar when \Gamma is much smaller than M. It has also been found that the propagator can be written as \frac{1}{s-m^2 + i\sqrt{s}\Gamma} in some cases. This discrepancy may be due to different renormalization schemes.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Hi everyone, I was wondering, is the cross section at Eq 50.25 in
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2017/reviews/rpp2017-rev-cross-section-formulae.pdf
correct?

Because I see a term in the denominator with [itex]\frac{1}{s\Gamma}[/itex] whereas in several other references, the propagator term in the matrix element comes with [itex]\frac{1}{M \Gamma}[/itex].
[eg. eq29 here http://article.sciencepublishinggroup.com/pdf/10.11648.j.ijhep.20150205.11.pdf and I can give a further list]
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit surprised to the the center of mass energy there, but note that the two expressions are very similar for ##\Gamma \ll M##: The right term is only relevant if ##\sqrt s \approx M##.

Yup. Since I've found instances where the additional part in the propagator (added to [itex]s-m^2 [/itex] ) is written as a function of [itex]s[/itex]: [itex] \Pi(s)[/itex], and through choosing a renormalization scheme they can set it as : [itex] \gamma(s = M^2 ) = M [/itex] , which basically translates to what you've written about the right term.

Additionally I've found that the propagator can be written as: [itex]D(s) = \frac{1}{s-m^2 + i \sqrt{s} \Gamma} [/itex] (after summing up several Feynman diagrams)... as shown on slide7 here: https://www.stfc.ac.uk/files/lecture-7/

Finding multiple different instances for the same thing is confusing indeed...

Related to Question about a cross section from PDG

1. What is a cross section in relation to PDG?

A cross section in relation to PDG (Particle Data Group) refers to the measure of the probability of a particular particle interacting with another particle. It is commonly used in particle physics and is often represented in units of barns (b), with 1 barn equaling 10^-28 square meters.

2. How is a cross section determined in PDG?

A cross section in PDG is determined through experimental measurements and theoretical calculations. Experimental measurements involve colliding particles in controlled environments and measuring the number of interactions that occur. Theoretical calculations use mathematical models to predict the likelihood of interactions based on the properties of the particles involved.

3. What is the significance of cross section in particle physics?

Cross section is significant in particle physics as it provides information about the fundamental interactions between particles. It can also help scientists understand the properties of particles and the underlying forces that govern them. Additionally, cross sections play a crucial role in the design and analysis of experiments in particle physics.

4. How is cross section related to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics predicts the likelihood of interactions between particles, which can be represented by their cross sections. The cross section values predicted by the Standard Model have been experimentally verified to a high degree of accuracy, further supporting its validity as a fundamental theory in particle physics.

5. Are there any limitations or uncertainties in measuring cross sections in PDG?

Yes, there are limitations and uncertainties in measuring cross sections in PDG. Experimental measurements can be affected by various factors such as detector limitations, background noise, and human error. Theoretical calculations also have uncertainties due to the complexity of particle interactions. However, scientists continue to improve measurement techniques and theories to reduce these uncertainties.