Question 17 in section 2.9 in Schutz's A First Course in GR

Please provide a summary for the conversation in the homework forum rather than starting a new thread.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
The question is as follows:

Prove that any timelike vector for which ##U^0>0## and ##\vec{U}\cdot \vec{U} = -1## is the 4-velocity of some world line.

I need to show that there exists a 4-vector ##\vec{x}##, s.t ##\frac{d\vec{x}}{d\tau} = \vec{U}##, where ##\vec{x}## is a world line of some particle.

So far what I have done is: since ##\vec{U}\cdot \frac{d\vec{U}}{d\tau} = 0##, so we have:

$$dU^0/d\tau = U^1/U^0 dU^1/d\tau + U^2/U^0dU^2/d\tau + U^3/U^0 dU^3/d\tau$$

I used the fact that ##U^0>0##, so I can divide by it above.

We also have: ##dx^\mu/d\tau = U^\mu ##. How to continue? Any ideas?

This is not for homework, I am self studying GR and QFT.

Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
This is not for homework, I am self studying GR and QFT.

Even if it's not technically homework for you, it's a problem that is often assigned as homework, so I have moved this thread to the homework forum.

Related to Question 17 in section 2.9 in Schutz's A First Course in GR

1. What is Question 17 in section 2.9 in Schutz's A First Course in GR?

Question 17 in section 2.9 in Schutz's A First Course in GR is a specific question related to the mathematical concepts and equations discussed in the textbook.

2. What topics does Question 17 cover?

Question 17 covers topics related to curvature and geodesics in general relativity.

3. Why is Question 17 important in understanding GR?

Question 17 helps to solidify the understanding of key concepts and equations in general relativity, such as the Riemann curvature tensor and the geodesic equation.

4. Is Question 17 difficult to solve?

The difficulty of Question 17 may vary depending on an individual's understanding of the material and their mathematical skills. However, it is a common question found in many general relativity textbooks and can be solved with a solid understanding of the concepts and equations presented.

5. Are there any resources available to help solve Question 17?

Yes, there are various resources available such as online forums, study groups, and tutoring services that can provide assistance in solving Question 17. Additionally, the textbook itself may provide helpful hints and explanations for solving the question.