Query about Vitamin ##K_1## and ##K_2##

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vitamins
In summary, the conversation discusses the different names and structures of Vitamin K and its compounds, specifically ##K_1## and ##K_2##. It is mentioned that ##K_2## is a family of menaquinone homologues and that the different names can be confusing. It is advised to search through the long list of chemical names to find the one mentioned in the book. The person speaking also mentions that they will stick to the names mentioned in their book for their Chemistry project.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have a project at hand, the topic being vitamins and hormones.

While reading about Vitamin K on pubchem, I found that ##K_1## is the compound phytonadione, while my biology book mentions it to be phylloquinone. Similarly, ##K_2## is the compound menaquinone-2 as per pubchem, the the book says it's farnoquinone.

Now it turns out that phytonadione and phylloquinone are actually isomers, and the same is the case with menaquinone-2 and farnoquinone.

Can anyone confirm which is correct? Pubchem seems trustworthy, and so is the book.

Biology news on Phys.org
##K_2## is actually a whole family of menaquinone homologues - the form the compounds are stored in animal tissue. So it is not one single "flavor" of molecule, it is several that have differing numbers of isoprenoid moieties, different molecular weights, etc. ##K_2## is synthesized from ##K_1## for storage.

A lot the forms have varying names as well, menaquinone is standard. Worry a lot less about some arcane names (sometimes called a nomen confusum).
Realize that terms like vitamin D or vitamin K are dumping grounds for multiple kinds molecules.

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Menaquinone_7 - is but one ##K_2## - note carefully the long list of "chemical names", particularly the MK-n part. When in doubt search through the long list of chemical names to find what your book uses, if you think that is a major concern. Unless this is a college course and the person grading papers insists there is only one correct name. Just realize this is not always helpful to you the student.

jim mcnamara said:
##K_2## is actually a whole family of menaquinone homologues - the form the compounds are stored in animal tissue. So it is not one single "flavor" of molecule, it is several that have differing numbers of isoprenoid moieties, different molecular weights, etc.
Understood.

jim mcnamara said:
When in doubt search through the long list of chemical names to find what your book uses, if you think that is a major concern.
In that case, I'll write on only the ones mentioned in my book. Actually, the project was given in Chemistry. As a result, I am expected to write the molecular structure, and several other aspects of the vitamins. That's why I was asking which should be used, because I cannot go on writing on so many isomers. It's better if I stick to the book (though I'll remember what you said, and that has been added to my knowledge bank.)

Related to Query about Vitamin ##K_1## and ##K_2##

1. What is the difference between Vitamin K1 and K2?

Vitamin K1, also known as phylloquinone, is the primary form of vitamin K found in plants. It is important for blood clotting and bone health. Vitamin K2, or menaquinone, is produced by bacteria in the gut and is found in animal products. It is involved in bone and heart health.

2. How do I know if I am deficient in Vitamin K?

A vitamin K deficiency is rare, but it can be detected through a blood test measuring levels of specific clotting factors. Symptoms of deficiency may include easy bruising, bleeding gums, and heavy menstrual bleeding.

3. Can Vitamin K1 and K2 be found in the same foods?

Yes, some foods like leafy green vegetables, eggs, and dairy products contain both forms of vitamin K. However, the amount of each form may vary.

4. What are the health benefits of taking Vitamin K supplements?

Vitamin K supplements may help with blood clotting, bone density, and heart health. However, more research is needed to determine the effectiveness of these supplements.

5. Is it possible to consume too much Vitamin K?

Yes, consuming high amounts of vitamin K through supplements may interfere with certain medications, like blood thinners. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking high doses of vitamin K supplements.