Quaternions and Video Game Design

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding equations for phi rho' and phi rho'' in Section 563 of Hamilton's Lectures on Quaternions. The conversation also mentions the use of quaternions in various fields such as unified-force problem and videogame design, and provides various references for further understanding of quaternions and their applications.
Ben2
On p. 566 (Section 563) of Hamilton's Lectures on Quaternions, I find "Operating with phi, and making reductions analogous to those of recent articles..." The 2nd derivation, beginning with "phi rho prime" so far totally eludes me.
Let me apologize if this is the wrong forum. Quaternions have apparently been applied in both the unified-force problem and videogame design. I've tried unsuccessfully to get help from Hamilton's home university (Trinity College in Ireland), and Hamilton's auditors are of course long gone.
Any help or references will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ben2 said:
On p. 566 (Section 563) of Hamilton's Lectures on Quaternions, I find "Operating with phi, and making reductions analogous to those of recent articles..." The 2nd derivation, beginning with "phi rho prime" so far totally eludes me.
I'd venture to say that most of us here don't have this book, so aren't familiar with what you're asking.

Can you upload a clear photo of this page? That would be helpful.

Awesome, @fresh_42, Hamilton’s voice reverberates once again through the ages, saying I knew you’d find my mathematical friends useful.

<Moderator's note: Merged as it is still the same topic and even reference.>

My specific request is for help with proofs of equations for \phi\rho' or \phi\rho'' in Section 563 (p. 566) of
Hamilton's Lectures on Quaternions. I can provide certain details should the readership desire them.
I've received no hints or advice from any other source, to include Hamilton's home university, Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. Quats have apparently been used in videogame design, and one researcher into the unified-force problem has told me he's been unable to study certain aspects of that question using other
techniques (e.g. differential geometry).
Should this query be considered inappropriate for physicsforums.com, please accept my apologies. Otherwise will be grateful for any advice received. As always, my special thanks to the moderators.
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
We can't help you unless we see what is on pg 566 of Section 563 of Hamilton's Lectures on QUaternions.

IS this what you're referring to?

https://archive.org/details/lecturesonquater00hami/page/566

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 10.41.49 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 10.41.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 10.41.49 PM.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 602
Jedishrfu,
That is precisely right. The fourth and second equations from foot of p. 566 are the subjects of my question.
The difficulty is "making reductions analogous to those of recent articles..." Again, I'll be grateful for any help
available, and thanks especially for your prompt reply!
Ben

Here are some references of books about quaternions:
Hanson - Visualizing Quaternions (2006)
Kuipers - Quaternions and Rotation Sequences (1999)
Vince - Quaternions for Computer Graphics (2011)
Vince - Rotation Transforms for Computer Graphics (2011)​

If you are into computers graphics (games and so) you might find all the books of John A. Vince interesting:
Vince - Calculus for Computer Graphics (2013)
Vince - Geometric Algebra for Computer Graphics (2008)
Vince - Geometry for Computer Graphics; formulae, examples and proofs (2005)
Vince - Mathematics for Computer Graphics (5th edition,2014)
Vince - Vector Analysis for Computer Graphics (2007)​
and many more of Vince …

I'm afraid I can't help much here. Hamilton's notation seems very dated from what we use today (meaning I can't figure it out). His use of the words "articles" I think refers to simply prior numbered section of his book and whatever transformations he's made earlier.

I looked for something that had the words "inverse quaternions general linear and vector equation" and came up with these paper of theorems and proofs of quaternions and matrices of quaternions:

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/82180866.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225894480_Linear_Quaternionic_Equations_and_Their_Systems

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1018364717303130

and lastly, Wikipedia for the references the article provides:

Quaternions in Computer Science

Jedishrfu:
Again you're correct; Hamilton's notation is brutal, but provides an alternative to "coordinatization" as in Shpakivskyi's work (2nd reference).
Thanks for tracking down these tremendous references!
Ben

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Quaternions and Video Game Design

1. What are quaternions and how are they used in video game design?

Quaternions are a mathematical concept used to represent rotations in 3D space. In video game design, they are used to smoothly and efficiently rotate objects in 3D environments, such as characters or cameras.

2. How do quaternions differ from other rotation representations, such as Euler angles?

Unlike Euler angles, quaternions do not suffer from gimbal lock, which is when two axes align and cause a loss of one degree of freedom in rotation. Quaternions also avoid discontinuities and singularities in rotation, resulting in smoother and more accurate movements.

3. Can quaternions be used for more than just rotations in video games?

Yes, quaternions have applications in various fields, including robotics, computer graphics, and physics simulations. They can also be used for interpolating between two rotations, creating smooth and natural-looking animations.

4. Are there any downsides to using quaternions in video game design?

One of the main challenges in using quaternions is understanding and working with their mathematical concepts, which can be complex and require some background knowledge in linear algebra. Additionally, converting between quaternions and other rotation representations can be computationally expensive.

5. How can I learn more about quaternions and their implementation in video game design?

There are numerous online resources and tutorials available for learning about quaternions and their applications in video game design. Some recommended starting points include reading academic papers, watching video tutorials, and experimenting with coding and implementing quaternion-based rotations in game engines.

Back