Quaternions And Complex Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of HAMILTONian unit vectors i, j, k in relation to the imaginary unit i, as well as the expansion of quaternions using complex numbers. It is stated that quaternion can be realized as an extension of complex numbers, but there are different ways of doing so. Additionally, one representation of quaternions is as traceless hermitian 2*2 matrices over complex numbers, which can be used to generate 2*2 unitary matrices and map to rotations in 3 dimensions. This representation is often based on the Pauli matrices, commonly used in physics.
Kambiz_Veshgini
Are the HAMILTON‘ian unit vectors i, j, k still valid beside the imaginary
unit i(Sqrt(-1))?
Can we expand quaternions using complex numbers?

Is the quaternion a+bi+0j+0k equal to the complex number a+bi ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1. what does valid mean. yes the quarternions can be realized as en extension of the complex numbers, though as i doesn't commute with j or k, there are several ways of doing this and different sources may adopt different ways.

3. Yes and no. a+bi+0j+0k=a+bi IN the quartenions.

Hi Kambiz,
one picture/representation of quaternions (i,j,k)
you can have is of them being traceless hermitian 2*2 matrices
over complex numbers.

(Then exponentiating combinations of them, you generate 2*2 unitary matrices, which we can map to ordinary rotations in 3 dimensions - in fact, I believe, it was Hamilton's obsession with `adding rotations' (in the manner that one might add vectors so effortlessly) that led him to write down the quaternionic algebra in the first place.)

A common basis for this 2*2 complex matrix representation of
quaternions is given by the Pauli matrices, used extensively in physics!

This is the lowest dimension representation of the quaternionic
algebra [sometimes called the spinor representation].

best, Anton.

Last edited:

Related to Quaternions And Complex Numbers

1. What are quaternions and complex numbers?

Quaternions and complex numbers are mathematical concepts that extend the idea of real numbers to include imaginary numbers. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics for their ability to represent rotations and transformations.

2. What is the difference between quaternions and complex numbers?

The main difference between quaternions and complex numbers is that quaternions have four components while complex numbers have two. Quaternions also have a more complex algebraic structure, allowing for operations such as multiplication and division, while complex numbers are limited to addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. How are quaternions and complex numbers used in computer graphics?

Quaternions and complex numbers are commonly used in computer graphics to represent rotations and transformations. This is because they are more efficient and stable than other methods, such as Euler angles, which can suffer from gimbal lock. They are also used in 3D animation and gaming engines.

4. What are some real-world applications of quaternions and complex numbers?

Aside from computer graphics, quaternions and complex numbers have many other real-world applications. They are used in physics for modeling quantum mechanics and in engineering for solving problems in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics. They are also used in signal processing, control theory, and robotics.

5. Are quaternions and complex numbers difficult to understand?

Quaternions and complex numbers can be challenging to grasp at first, especially for those who are not familiar with advanced mathematics. However, with some practice and understanding of their properties and operations, they can become more intuitive. Many resources, such as books and online tutorials, are available to help with understanding these concepts.