Quaternion Derivative: Product Rule Explained

In summary, the quaternion derivative of a function f(q) is defined as the limit of the difference quotient as the increment h approaches 0 from any direction. However, functions such as f(q) = q^2 may not possess a left or right derivative. In this case, the Gateaux derivative for quaternions can be used to obtain results in a particular direction.
abhiroop_k
How does the quaternion derivative work in the presence of a quaternion product.
More specifically, does the standard product rule apply for quaternion derivatives?

Say, I have a function f(q) = q* x a x q [where q -> quaternion, a -> const vector x-> quat prod]

what is the result of the operation d[f(q)] / dq ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For quaternion, we have two kind of derivatives, the right derivative respect ## q## defined as

## \left(\frac{d}{dq}\right)_{r}f=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(q+h)-f(q)}{h} ##

and in similar way the left derivative...

Thanks!
Could you please elaborate a little more w.r.t the example I mentioned?

I read a few articles and have come up with the following result for the equation i posed:

d [f(q)] / dq = [-(a x q)/2] + [q* x a]

Is this right?

yes it is possible, I don't understand the ##\frac{1}{2}##, using the definition

## \left(\frac{d}{dq}f\right)_{r}=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{(q+h)^{*}a(q+h)-q^{*}aq}{h}=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{q^{*}ah+haq+h^{2}a}{h}=q^{*}a+aq ##

I don't know if it is what you need because depends from the definition (other authors can use a different definition). Quaternionic analysis is useful in different fields as robotic, mathematical physics ... I wrote one chapter on my book of analysis about quaternionic analysis

http://www.lulu.com/it/it/shop/simone-camosso/analisi-matematica/paperback/product-20723617.html

( is in Italian ... )

Ssnow said:
For quaternion, we have two kind of derivatives, the right derivative respect ## q## defined as

## \left(\frac{d}{dq}\right)_{r}f=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(q+h)-f(q)}{h} ##

and in similar way the left derivative...

I'm confused. What is "right" in this formula? What would the "left" version be? (I mean on the right-hand side of the equals sign.)

(Also, the division by h in the formula is not well-defined unless it is specified to be either left- or right-multiplication by 1/h.)

yes, right stands for right multiplication for ##\frac{1}{h}##, now that I see there is also an error in the previous example ... ## \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{q^{*}ah +h^{*}aq +h^{*}ha}{h}=q^{*}a+\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} h^{*}aqh^{-1}+ \|h\|^{2}ah^{-1}=q^{*}a -\frac{1}{2}aq## so the result agree with abhiroop_k ...

Given the function1

f(q) := q* a q​

(where a is a constant quaternion, and q* denotes the conjugate of q), what is the derivative d[f(q)] / dq ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned, the usual definition of the derivative needs to choose whether to multiply the difference quotient on the right or on the left by 1/h before taking the limit.

We can try to use either

d[f(q)] / dq := limh→0 (1/h)(f(q+h) - f(q))​

or

d[f(q)] / dq := limh→0 (1/h)(f(q+h) - f(q))(1/h).​

Suppose we decide to try to use the top definition, the quaternion derivative on the left.

Then Theorem 1 from the paper Quaternionic analysis by A. Sudbery, Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. (1979), vol. 85 states:

If the left quaternionic derivative exists in some open set of the quaternions, then

f(q) = c + q d

where c and d are constant quaternions.​

(Of course the hypothesis means that the increment h can approach 0 from any direction.)

Likewise, if we assume the existence of the right quaternionic derivative as in the second definition above, then

f(q) = c + d q​

for some constant quaternions c and d.

Finally, if the function f is both left- and right-quaternionically differentiable, then we can conclude that

f(q) = c + r q​

for some constant quaternion c and real number r.
Because the function f(q) = q* a q is not (and cannot be expressed) in the form

f(q) = c + q d​

or

f(q) = c + d q,​

that means it does not possesses either a left or right derivative.

Quaternion functions as ## f(q)=q^{2} ## have some problem with differentiation in the sense that I used above, the Theorem 1 cited by Zinq is a classical result in quaternionic analysis. Possible results can be obtained focusing in a particular directions using the Gateaux derivative for quaternions

## Df(q)(h)=\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(q+th)-f(q)}{t} ##

with ##t\in\mathbb{R}##.

Related to Quaternion Derivative: Product Rule Explained

What is a Quaternion Derivative?

A quaternion derivative is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a quaternion with respect to time. Quaternions are four-dimensional numbers that are commonly used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space.

What is the Product Rule for Quaternion Derivatives?

The product rule for quaternion derivatives is a formula that allows us to calculate the derivative of the product of two quaternions. It is given by d (pq)/dt = dp/dt * q + p * dq/dt, where p and q are quaternions and dp/dt and dq/dt are their respective derivatives.

How is the Product Rule for Quaternion Derivatives used in real-world applications?

The product rule for quaternion derivatives is commonly used in computer graphics and animation to calculate the orientation of objects in three-dimensional space. It is also used in robotics and navigation systems to track the orientation of objects or vehicles in motion.

What are the benefits of using the Product Rule for Quaternion Derivatives?

The product rule for quaternion derivatives allows for more efficient and accurate calculations compared to using other methods for calculating quaternion derivatives. It also simplifies the process of differentiating complex functions that involve quaternions.

Are there any limitations to the Product Rule for Quaternion Derivatives?

One limitation of the product rule for quaternion derivatives is that it can only be applied to differentiable functions. It also requires a good understanding of quaternion algebra and calculus to use effectively.