Quartus II simulator OR recommended simulation software?

In summary: There are quite a few simulation programs out there, so you might want to look into them before deciding which one to use.
Elecomputer
Hello,

I'm learning digital logic and design, I was told that I should use Quartus II, which so far works very well for me. Unfortunately, I noticed that simulating was eliminated on recent versions of Quartus II on the web edition.

So, while new versions are better and I still prefer the simulator, does anyone know the latest version of Quartus II Web Edition that still includes the simulator?

Additionally, on the building blocks schematic, is it possible to place toggles and LEDs into the circuit so that I can simulate the entire circuit visually? As far as I know, the simulator on Quartus at least supports waveform time-graphs, but can it also do that? Otherwise, can anyone recommend a program that can do that, perhaps with VHDL support to?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
For the course I took we were using ModelSim along with Quartus II. I wasn't exactly a huge fan of ModelSim (although it is recommended on the Altera website). You can get Altera-Modelsim starter edition for free from the Altera website
https://www.altera.com/download/software/modelsim-starter

You might want to have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Verilog_simulators

In addition to Modelsim, there is Cadence Incisive and Synopsys VCS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used quite a few different VHDL simulation programs and I like Quartus II the best (have used ModelSim, ActiveHDL, Xilinx ISE, and Actel's software). I really like the Quartus waveform editor and how easily you can generate test input waveforms and the ease of mixing VHDL code and block diagrams.

Why would you need to simulate toggles/LEDs? That is more cumbersome and has less information than using waveforms for testing i.e. a high input is a toggle set and a high on the output is an LED illuminated. Using that you can generate a test case that exercises all your possible combinations and is perfectly repeatable.

The closest I have seen to what you want might be LabView. It has a bunch of widgets like LEDs and switches used to make GUIs that look like actual hardware and I think their is an option to it that can processes VHDL. Of course it is quite expensive and I don't know if they offer free or trial versions.

Last edited:

Related to Quartus II simulator OR recommended simulation software?

1. What is Quartus II simulator?

Quartus II simulator is a software tool used for simulating and testing digital circuits. It is part of the Quartus II design software suite developed by Intel, and is specifically designed for use with Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) and Complex Programmable Logic Devices (CPLDs).

2. How does Quartus II simulator work?

Quartus II simulator uses a hardware description language (HDL) to model the behavior of a digital circuit. It then runs simulations based on the HDL code, allowing designers to test and debug their designs before implementing them on actual hardware.

3. What are the advantages of using Quartus II simulator?

Quartus II simulator allows for faster and more efficient design testing, as it eliminates the need for physical hardware. It also provides a more cost-effective solution for design validation, as well as the ability to easily make changes and modifications to the design.

4. Are there any other recommended simulation software for digital circuits?

Yes, there are several other simulation software options available for digital circuit design, such as Xilinx ISE, ModelSim, and Verilog Simulator. The choice of software often depends on the specific needs and preferences of the designer.

5. Can Quartus II simulator be used for both Verilog and VHDL designs?

Yes, Quartus II simulator supports both Verilog and VHDL hardware description languages. This allows designers to use their preferred HDL for their designs without having to switch to a different simulation software.