Quarter wave cables building

In summary: Thirdly, you're asking how to attenuate unwanted signals. You're asking how to attenuate unwanted signals. Stubs are impedance-matching devices; they are used to match the impedance of a particular antenna with that of the transmitter or receiver. They aren't used to attenuate unwanted signals.
mustafa_2009
Hii Iam new in this field, Please I want to build 1/4 wave cables and cross diodes together to stop high power at 90 MHz frequency for exaample, I want help how can I build some thing like this and what is the equations to choose the right length depending on the frequency...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't understand what it is you're trying to do.

negitron said:
I don't understand what it is you're trying to do.

1)First I want to know about how can one make frequency dependent quarter cables (coxial)(lamdah\4)?
2) Then what is the relation of these cable length with the input power?
3) then I would be able to protect my reciever from reflection high pulse using these cables.

It is still not clear.

Do you mean a 1/4 wave coaxial stub?

Exactly !

Well, to start with, the length is only frequency-dependent; power has nothing to do with it. Also, the length is not the physical length, it's the electrical length--to determine the physical length, you need to know the velocity factor characteristic of the particular coax in question. The equation then becomes (lambda /4 ) x VF.

Secondly, stubs are simply impedance-matching devices; they are used to match the impedance of a particular antenna with that of the transmitter or receiver. They aren't used to attenuate unwanted signals. And I've never heard of them using diodes for anything.

What are the diodes for?

How much power are you talking about?

Really thanks for help,
but I mean is this cables are restrictly frequency dependence, I mean if I have 2 modulated signals (frequency modulation) Low and high frequency the LF with low power and the HF with high power I can reject the high power with rejecting this frequency part.
the diods is used as shunt with short ended to get infinity resistance at the end i mean if we calculate the out pout impedence to be infinity if we have two input ...

No, you can use a stub to reject signals. A 1/4 stub with an open end strapped across a coaxial (or open wire) line will present a (near) short circuit across the line. The lower loss (bigger and thicker) the coax cable used in the stub the better the short circuit will be.

The problem is that they may introduce a mis-match at the pass frequency(ies) and have a fairly wide stop band. You can narrow the stop band and reduce any mismatch at the pass F by capacitively coupling the stub to the line rather than direct connection but the attenaution of the undesired signal won't be as high.

Where it is desired to receive signal(s) close to the unwanted F it may be necessary to have 3 or 4 capacitively coupled stubs spaced along the line.

You can make the stubs a little shorter than required and fine tune them with variable capacitors at the open end (between centre conductor and outer).

With very close spacing between received and unwanted f it may be necessary to use a very high Q (and therefore large) cavity selection filter.

I have worked on broadcasting stations where it is required to pick up signals (for re-broadcast purposes) very close to the station's own output frequencies. Stubs are often made of solid copper tubes for that use.

Iam speaking about 20 watt power as high power...

The stub length will be 75/f x velocity factor (near to one for air paced and about 0.66 for polyethelene) . So 50/f for poly. f in Mhz, length in metres. You cut long and trim and find tune with some variable capacitance at the open end.

Diodes serve no purpose.

Pumblechook said:
No, you can use a stub to reject signals. A 1/4 stub with an open end strapped across a coaxial (or open wire) line will present a (near) short circuit across the line. The lower loss (bigger and thicker) the coax cable used in the stub the better the short circuit will be.

thanks that is really what i search for but the question is how to select the frequency I mean the equations .. which used to know which frequency is selected and deal as short circuit ??

thank you ...

But unless you are receiving several MHz from the unwanted frequency I suspect a simple stub will not be suitable.

You can also alternate quarter wave shorted stubs at the wanted frequency with quarter wave open circuited stubs at the unwanted frequency.
This will tend to favour the wanted frequency and reject the unwanted one.
Shorted stubs just have a wire connecting the inner and outer of the coax at the end away from the antenna cable. Keep the stubs away from each other.

The wavelength at any frequency F (in air) is = 300 / F where the wavelength will be in meters.

A quarter wave will be this wavelength divided by 4.

If it is in coaxial cable, it will be this length multiplied by the velocity factor which is a number like 0.66.

So at 95 MHz the wavelength in air is 3.158 M
One quarter of this is 0.789 M or 78.9 cm
Times the velocity factor 0.66 is 0.521 M or 52.1 cm

So, just cut the cable a bit longer than this and snip off bits until it works best.

Related to Quarter wave cables building

1. What is a quarter wave cable?

A quarter wave cable is a type of coaxial cable that is designed to transmit radio frequency signals over a specific frequency range. It is called a "quarter wave" because its length is equal to a quarter of the wavelength of the signal it is designed to carry.

2. How is a quarter wave cable constructed?

A quarter wave cable is constructed with a center conductor, insulation, and an outer conductor (usually made of metal). The center conductor is surrounded by the insulation, which is then covered by the outer conductor. This design allows for the efficient transmission of signals without interference.

3. What are the advantages of using quarter wave cables?

Quarter wave cables have several advantages, including low signal loss, high signal strength, and the ability to carry a wide range of frequencies. They are also relatively inexpensive and easy to install, making them a popular choice for many applications.

4. What are some common uses for quarter wave cables?

Quarter wave cables are commonly used in wireless communication systems, such as cell phones, radios, and satellite communication systems. They are also used in radar systems, television broadcasting, and other applications that require the efficient transmission of high-frequency signals.

5. How do I build a quarter wave cable?

Building a quarter wave cable requires knowledge of electronics and access to the necessary materials. It involves cutting the cable to the correct length, stripping and connecting the connectors, and testing the cable for proper signal transmission. It is recommended to consult a professional or follow a detailed guide for best results.