Quantum Well & Barrier w/ Phase Shift

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of wave functions and phase shift in three different regions, based on the given potential function and notes. The Schrodinger equation is used to find the wave functions in each region, but the phase shift requires additional consideration of boundary conditions. The phase shift is calculated using the continuity of the wave function and its derivative at certain points, leading to the formula 2\phi = 2\left[\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{k}{k'}\cot\left({ka}\right)\right)-k'a\right].
darkfall13

Homework Statement

V(x) = [tex]\inf[/tex] if x [tex]\leq[/tex] 0
= -V if 0 [tex]<[/tex] x [tex]<[/tex] a
= 0 if x [tex]>[/tex] a

NOTE: E>V

Find the wave functions in each region and the stated phase shift.

Homework Equations

Schrodinger Eq.

Instructions note that wave functions are:
[tex]\Psi_I[/tex] = [tex]A\sin{kx}[/tex]
[tex]\Psi_{II}[/tex] = [tex]B\sin{k'x+\phi}[/tex]

where,

k = [tex]\sqrt{2m(V+E)}/\hbar[/tex]
k' = [tex]\sqrt{2mE}/\hbar[/tex]

Show [tex]2\phi = 2\left[\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{k}{k'}\cot\left({ka}\right)\right)-k'a\right][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get Region I just fine (0:a well)

[tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 \Psi}{dx^2} - V \Psi = E \Psi [/tex]
[tex]-\frac{d^2 \Psi}{dx^2} = \left(E+V\right)\Psi\left(\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}[/tex]
let [tex]k = \frac{\sqrt{2m\left(V+E\right)}}{\hbar}[/tex]
[tex] \Psi_x\left(x\right) = A\sin{kx} [/tex]

Region II

[tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 \Psi}{dx^2} = E \Psi [/tex]
[tex]-\frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} = \frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\Psi [/tex]
[tex] \Psi_{II}\left(x\right) = B\sin{k'x} [/tex]
where [tex]k' = sqrt{2mE}{\hbar}[/tex]

But my problem lies in the phase shift. How is it related to the wave functions and how can it be calculated?

Physics news on Phys.org

The wave functions in each region can be calculated using the Schrodinger equation, as you have correctly done. However, to calculate the phase shift, we need to look at the boundary conditions at x = 0 and x = a. At these points, the wave function must be continuous and the derivative of the wave function must be continuous as well. This means that the wave function and its derivative must have the same value at these points in both regions.

Using this condition, we can set up the following equations:

\Psi_I\left(0\right) = \Psi_{II}\left(0\right)
\Psi_I'\left(0\right) = \Psi_{II}'\left(0\right)

Substituting in the wave functions we have already found, we get:

A\sin{0} = B\sin{\phi}
Ak = Bk'\cos{\phi}

Solving for \phi, we get:

\phi = \cot^{-1}\left(\frac{k}{k'}\cot\left(ka\right)\right) - k'a

This is the phase shift between the wave functions in Region I and Region II. I hope this helps you with your calculations. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your work!

Related to Quantum Well & Barrier w/ Phase Shift

What is a quantum well?

A quantum well is a structure in which a potential barrier is used to confine particles, such as electrons or photons, in a region that is much smaller than their wavelength. This results in discrete energy levels, similar to those of an atom, and allows for control over the properties of the confined particles.

What is a quantum barrier?

A quantum barrier is a potential energy barrier that is used to confine particles within a quantum well. It is typically made of a material with a higher bandgap than the surrounding materials, creating a barrier that particles must overcome to enter or exit the well.

What is the purpose of a phase shift in a quantum well and barrier?

A phase shift in a quantum well and barrier refers to the manipulation of the relative phase of particles within the confined region. This can be achieved through the use of external fields or by engineering the properties of the well and barrier materials. It is used to control and enhance the behavior of particles within the structure.

What are some potential applications of quantum wells and barriers with phase shift?

Quantum wells and barriers with phase shift have a wide range of potential applications, including in optoelectronic devices such as lasers and photodetectors, in quantum computing, and in sensing technologies. They also have potential for use in novel materials with unique properties.

What are the challenges in studying and working with quantum wells and barriers with phase shift?

One of the main challenges in studying and working with quantum wells and barriers with phase shift is the need for highly precise and controlled fabrication techniques. Additionally, the behavior of particles within these structures can be difficult to predict and understand, requiring advanced theoretical and experimental methods. Finally, the properties of quantum wells and barriers can be highly sensitive to external factors, making them challenging to work with in real-world applications.