Quantum Wave & Principle of Least Action

In summary, the conversation is about understanding how the Principle of Least Action applies in quantum physics, particularly in relation to the wave function of a particle. There is a question about whether the particle strictly follows the principle or if its appearance at lesser probability positions is due to our lack of knowledge about its properties. One person mentions Feynman's path integral formulation and how it visualizes trajectories with higher action as less likely due to destructive interference, but acknowledges that it is just one way to understand quantum mechanics. The conversation ends with a thank you for the insight.
Andy_K
Gold Member
Dear All,

I would like to better understand how the Principle of Least Action applies in observations / measurements in quantum physics.

Does the wave function of a particle correspond directly to the principle of least action, as in, the positions with higher probability of detecting the particle are those of least action?

If so, does that mean the particle need not strictly follow the principle, since it can also appear at any of the other lesser probability / higher action positions? Or is that simply due to our ignorance of its accurate properties i.e. momentum?

p/s: Sorry if this is a duplicate question, I tried searching the forum and came across some threads, but the answers are mostly too mathematically intense for my layman comprehension.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember the details of Feynman's path integral formulation correctly, the trajectories with action more far away from the extremal value will "interfere destructively", making them less likely. But that's just one way to visualize/formulate quantum mechanics, and is no more correct than the version without path integrals.

Likes vanhees71 and Andy_K
hilbert2 said:
If I remember the details of Feynman's path integral formulation correctly, the trajectories with action more far away from the extremal value will "interfere destructively", making them less likely. But that's just one way to visualize/formulate quantum mechanics, and is no more correct than the version without path integrals.

Thank you for your insight.

Related to Quantum Wave & Principle of Least Action

1. What is the Quantum Wave?

The Quantum Wave is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding a quantum particle at a given location. It is described by the Schrödinger equation and is used in quantum mechanics to predict the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. What is the Principle of Least Action?

The Principle of Least Action is a fundamental principle in physics that states that a physical system will always follow the path that minimizes the action, which is a measure of the system's energy. In other words, a system will always take the path of least resistance.

3. How are the Quantum Wave and the Principle of Least Action related?

The Quantum Wave and the Principle of Least Action are both essential concepts in quantum mechanics. The Quantum Wave describes the probability of a particle's behavior, while the Principle of Least Action predicts the path that the particle will take. The two are related because the Quantum Wave can be used to calculate the action of a system, and the Principle of Least Action can be used to determine the most probable path of a particle.

4. Can the Quantum Wave and the Principle of Least Action be applied to macroscopic systems?

No, the Quantum Wave and the Principle of Least Action are only applicable to microscopic systems at the quantum level. In macroscopic systems, the laws of classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws, are more accurate in predicting the behavior of objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Quantum Wave and the Principle of Least Action?

The Quantum Wave and the Principle of Least Action have numerous applications in modern technology, such as in the development of quantum computers, lasers, and nanotechnology. They are also used in fields like chemistry and material science to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the atomic level.