Quantum variance (uncertainty)

In summary, the conversation discusses using operators a and a^{\dagger}, which represent the lowering and raising operators, to calculate the variance in N, denoted as \Delta N. The conversation also involves using the fact that a|n\rangle= \sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle and a^{\dagger}|n\rangle= \sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle to calculate N|n\rangle and N^2|n\rangle, and ultimately N|z\rangle and N^2|z\rangle to determine the variance.
Piano man

Homework Statement

[tex]N=a^+a[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{ip+mwx}{\sqrt{2m\hbar w}} \quad a^+=\frac{-ip+mwx}{\sqrt{2m\hbar w}}[/tex]

[tex]|z>=e^{\frac{-|z|^2}{2}}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{z^n}{\sqrt{n!}}|n>[/tex]

where [tex]<n|n>=1[/tex]

Show that the variance (uncertainty) in N, [tex]\Delta N[/tex] is [tex]|z|[/tex]

i.e. calculate [tex](\Delta N)^2=<z|N^2|z>-<z|N|z>^2[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Taking [tex]<z|=e^{\frac{-|z|^2}{2}}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{\bar{z}^n}{\sqrt{n!}}<n|[/tex]

I subbed in appropriately and I got

[tex]e^{-|z|^2}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(\bar{z}z)^n}{n!}y-e^{-2|z|^2}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(\bar{z}z)^{2n}}{(n!)^2}y[/tex]

where [tex]y=\frac{m^4w^4x^4+2p^2m^2w^2x^2+p^4}{4m^2\hbar^2 w^2}[/tex]

This leads to [tex]e^{-|z|^2+z\bar{z}}y-e^{-2|z|^2+2z\bar{z}}y[/tex] I believe.

From here, how do I show that this equals [tex]|z|^2[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Piano man said:
I subbed in appropriately and I got

[tex]e^{-|z|^2}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(\bar{z}z)^n}{n!}y-e^{-2|z|^2}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(\bar{z}z)^{2n}}{(n!)^2}y[/tex]

where [tex]y=\frac{m^4w^4x^4+2p^2m^2w^2x^2+p^4}{4m^2\hbar^2 w^2}[/tex]

No, [itex]a[/itex], [itex]a^{\dagger}[/itex], [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] are all operators. You can't treat them like scalars and pull them out of the inner product.

Use the fact that [itex]a|n\rangle= \sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle[/itex] (for [itex]n\geq 1[/itex] ) and [itex]a^{\dagger}|n\rangle= \sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle[/itex] to Calculate [itex]N|n\rangle[/itex] and [itex]N^2|n\rangle[/itex] and then use those results to calculate [itex]N|z\rangle[/itex] and [itex]N^2|z\rangle[/itex] and the variance.

Related to Quantum variance (uncertainty)

What is quantum variance (uncertainty)?

Quantum variance, also known as quantum uncertainty, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that refers to the inherent unpredictability of certain physical properties of subatomic particles. It states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

How is quantum variance (uncertainty) related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Quantum variance is closely related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely one knows the position of a particle, the less precisely one can know its momentum, and vice versa. This means that the act of measuring one property will inevitably affect the measurement of the other property.

Can quantum variance (uncertainty) be avoided or eliminated?

No, quantum variance is a fundamental aspect of the quantum world and cannot be avoided or eliminated. It is a natural consequence of the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the limitations of measurement at the subatomic level.

How does quantum variance (uncertainty) affect our understanding of the physical world?

Quantum variance challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world, as it shows that at the smallest scales, particles do not have definite properties until they are measured. This has led to the development of new theories and interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation and the many-worlds interpretation.

What are some practical applications of quantum variance (uncertainty)?

While quantum variance can seem counterintuitive and difficult to grasp, it has practical applications in various fields, including quantum computing, cryptography, and precision measurement devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other subatomic particles.