Quantum Vacuum before the big bang?

In summary, the quantum vacuum is a state of nothing with virtual particles that only exist in mathematics. It is unclear if this type of nothing could exist before the Big Bang, but the leading quantum theory suggests that the early stages of the Big Bang had a different vacuum state that eventually decayed into the current vacuum state. The predictive ability of virtual particles has been noted, but it is a matter of debate whether they are truly fictitious or not.
petersaysstuf
I understand that the quantum vacuum is nothing with particles popping into and out of existence and I also understand that this has been in existence since the big bang but I am curious as to whether this type of nothing could exist before the big bang (not relying on a multiverse). I assume it could but I want some more information. If not what are the leading quantum theories on how the cosmic singularity came about?

Physics news on Phys.org
petersaysstuf said:
I understand that the quantum vacuum is nothing with particles popping into and out of existence and I also understand that this has been in existence since the big bang but I am curious as to whether this type of nothing could exist before the big bang (not relying on a multiverse). I assume it could but I want some more information. If not what are the leading quantum theories on how the cosmic singularity came about?

According to Neumaier, the quantum vacuum is just mathematics as well as virtual particles which are only mathematical artifacts. Meaning they don't really exist outside of mathematics.

Varon said:
According to Neumaier, the quantum vacuum is just mathematics as well as virtual particles which are only mathematical artifacts. Meaning they don't really exist outside of mathematics.

But if that is true then why is their predictive ability unprecedented?

When you start calling things fictitious, you've left the realm of physics and mathematics and ventured into philosophy. Virtual particles are different, but also it's a matter of degree. One could argue that all particles are virtual, in the sense that they are en route from one interaction to another, and therefore ever so slightly off the mass shell.

Anyway regarding the Big Bang, we have no information on what came before it, if that even means anything. Vacuum is just defined to be the ground state. The prevailing theory is that the earliest stages of the Big Bang had a different vacuum state, in which spontaneously broken symmetries such as electroweak symmetry were unbroken. As things cooled, a phase change occurred in which this state became unstable and decayed into the vacuum state we have now.

What was called fictious?

But thank you for your response.

Related to Quantum Vacuum before the big bang?

1. What is the quantum vacuum before the big bang?

The quantum vacuum before the big bang refers to the state of the universe before the big bang event, where it is believed that the laws of physics as we know them did not apply. This state is thought to be filled with an energy field known as the quantum vacuum or the zero-point energy field.

2. How does the quantum vacuum relate to the big bang?

The quantum vacuum is believed to have played a crucial role in the formation of the universe during the big bang. It is thought that the rapid expansion of the universe during the big bang was caused by fluctuations in the quantum vacuum, leading to the formation of matter and energy.

3. What evidence is there for the existence of the quantum vacuum before the big bang?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of the quantum vacuum before the big bang. However, scientists have been able to study and observe the effects of the quantum vacuum in our current universe, leading to theories about its role in the early stages of the universe.

4. How does the concept of the quantum vacuum challenge our understanding of the universe?

The concept of the quantum vacuum challenges our understanding of the universe by suggesting that there may have been a state of the universe where the laws of physics were different. This raises questions about the nature of existence and the boundaries of our current scientific knowledge.

5. Can we ever fully understand the quantum vacuum before the big bang?

As of now, we do not have the technology or means to fully understand the quantum vacuum before the big bang. However, with advancements in science and technology, it is possible that we may one day have a better understanding of this mysterious state of the universe.