Quantum Tunnelling - Transmission Probability

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of transmission (T) and tunnelling in a potential barrier. The equation for T is given, and it is noted that the coefficient in front of the exponential term may be omitted in some cases. It is also mentioned that this factor may be of order 1 in certain situations. The conversation also addresses the confusion of using the same equation for calculating the probability of tunnelling and the fraction of electrons that will succeed in penetrating a barrier, when different information is given in each case. The importance of knowing the height of the potential barrier for an accurate calculation is also highlighted.
Silversonic

Homework Statement

It's not really a given problem, it's more of a section of my lecturing I truly just don't understand.

I'm given that the probability of transmission (T) is the ratio of the intensities of the transmitted wave and the incident wave. However, a bunch of math gives also that;

T = [16E(V-E)/V^2]*e^{-2Ba}

I hope this equation is something many of you guys have met. It's the same equation given here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_coefficient#WKB_approximation

This is for a potential V > E, and the fact that we can approximate e^{-2Ba} << 1. However, my notes tell me that the probability of tunnelling through the barrier can be calculated just by calculating e^{-2Ba}, without the co-efficient in front of it. Maybe I'm being really stupid, but why is this? It doesn't make sense to me. I'm under the impression that "probability of tunnelling" is synonymous to "probability of transmission", but maybe it's not? I know what T is equal to, but my notes eradicate the co-efficient in front of the exponential term, and I don't understand why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct that the transmission coefficient is the probability of transmission.

I'm guessing your notes contain an order-of-magnitude calculation. If E and V are comparable, the factor out front is of order 1, so the exponential term is going to dominate. In other words, you don't care if the probability of tunneling is two in a billion as opposed to one in a billion. All you need to know is that it's really small.

vela said:
You're correct that the transmission coefficient is the probability of transmission.

I'm guessing your notes contain an order-of-magnitude calculation. If E and V are comparable, the factor out front is of order 1, so the exponential term is going to dominate. In other words, you don't care if the probability of tunneling is two in a billion as opposed to one in a billion. All you need to know is that it's really small.

Thanks for the reply. I guess that last part could be true, but the case is this in my notes; an electron with energy deficit 1eV and barrier of 2 angstroms wide. All it does is calculate e^{-2Ba}, telling me it's roughly equal to T, to come out as 0.13 and tells me this is the probability of the electron making it through the barrier. i.e. if 100 electrons tried to, statistically 13 would make it. That probability is pretty high.

If the factor in front were equal to 1, this would make sense to me. However, I don't see how you could determine the factor in front was anywhere close to 1, with only the value for the energy deficit and no information about the potential or the energy separately. And I'm not sure why my notes tell me that it is.

Last edited:
If you set E=V-1 and plot the front factor from V=1 up (V has to be more than 1 otherwise the electron's energy would be negative), you'll see it maxes out at about 4, so the front factor is of order 1. At best, you could take 0.13 as a really rough estimate of the probability.

vela said:
If you set E=V-1 and plot the front factor from V=1 up (V has to be more than 1 otherwise the electron's energy would be negative), you'll see it maxes out at about 4, so the front factor is of order 1. At best, you could take 0.13 as a really rough estimate of the probability.

Basically, if the front factor did take a value near four, the value for T would come out as about 0.52 instead, which isn't what I'd call 'roughly' equal to 0.13. Considering we're talking about probabilities here and the maximum value we could attain is 1. Unless this is what you meant by "really rough estimate".

This is just all confusing me, because I'm given two questions. One asks me to calculate the approximate fraction of electrons that will succeed in penetrating a barrier, and in this I'm given the separate values of V_b and E.

Another question after that asks me to calculate the approximate probability an electron will jump a certain vacuum gap in an STM experiment, and here I'm given ONLY the energy deficit.

The way I look at it, the fraction of electrons that will succeed in penetrating a barrier is pretty much synonymous to the approximate probability an electron will jump a gap. Basically meaning I'd use the same equation for both. But in one I'm given V_b and E, so I can calculate the factor in front, and in another I'm not - so I can't calculate the factor.

Apologies if this confuses.

It's not confusing. Your questions are reasonable. It really boils down to how good of an approximation you want. I'd ask your instructor what he or she expects. Without knowing the height of the potential barrier, you can't give an exact answer.

Related to Quantum Tunnelling - Transmission Probability

1. What is quantum tunnelling?

Quantum tunnelling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle can pass through a potential barrier that is higher than its energy level. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle.

2. How does quantum tunnelling work?

In quantum tunnelling, a particle has a probability of existing on both sides of a potential barrier, even if its energy level is not high enough to pass through it. This is possible because of the wave-like nature of particles in quantum mechanics, which allows them to exist in multiple states at once.

3. What is the transmission probability in quantum tunnelling?

The transmission probability is the likelihood that a particle will pass through a potential barrier in quantum tunnelling. It is dependent on factors such as the energy level of the particle, the width and height of the barrier, and the mass of the particle.

4. How is quantum tunnelling used in technology?

Quantum tunnelling has various applications in technology, such as in transistors, scanning tunneling microscopes, and quantum computing. It allows for the manipulation and control of particles at the quantum level, making it essential in the development of advanced technologies.

5. What are the implications of quantum tunnelling for our understanding of the universe?

Quantum tunnelling challenges our classical understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It highlights the probabilistic nature of particles and the concept of duality, where particles can exist as both waves and particles simultaneously. This can lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental workings of the universe.