Quantum Tunneling- Walking through walls

In summary: This thread covers it pretty well. In summary, quantum tunneling is highly improbable and most likely won't happen in your lifetime. If your keyboard falls through your desk, you should be more worried about the possibility of spontaneous combustion.
caljuice
I was on another forum and somebody was talking about quantum tunneling and that walking through walls was not impossible. Just highly improbable; the probability of it happening is older than the universe. Some reason it blew my mind away, even though not much was said. Anyone have more insight or thoughts on this subject? Does this mean it could be possible some building has phased through into the ground over these years? Or if my keyboard suddenly falls through my desk, I shouldn't be afraid of some supernatural cause but go hey, quantum tunneling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
caljuice said:
I was on another forum and somebody was talking about quantum tunneling and that walking through walls was not impossible. Just highly improbable; the probability of it happening is older than the universe. Some reason it blew my mind away, even though not much was said. Anyone have more insight or thoughts on this subject? Does this mean it could be possible some building has phased through into the ground over these years? Or if my keyboard suddenly falls through my desk, I shouldn't be afraid of some supernatural cause but go hey, quantum tunneling.
If your keyboard falls through your desk, you should be worried. Or perhaps you need to get a new desk. :wink:

Whenever someone asks this question, it puts us (physicists etc.) in a quandary of sorts: on one hand, according to quantum mechanics, the probability of any individual particle in your body suddenly being on the other side of a wall is not exactly zero, and so, mathematically speaking, yes, the probability that you would be able to quantum-tunnel through a wall might not be exactly zero. On the other hand, it's really really small. Unfathomably small. I not even sure we have a writing system capable of expressing how small this probability would be. (OK, actually, I'm sure the mathematicians have come up with something) Numbers like this are effectively zero. So in practice, it's never going to happen.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure the probability that you will spontaneously combust is way higher than that of your keyboard falling through your desk.

(P.S. probability can't be "older than the universe"... it's a number, not a time or an object)

caljuice said:

Please read this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=114110

Zz.

Related to Quantum Tunneling- Walking through walls

What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier, such as a wall or energy barrier, even if it does not have enough energy to surpass it. This is possible because on a quantum level, particles do not behave like solid objects and can exist in multiple places at once.

How does quantum tunneling work?

Quantum tunneling occurs when a particle approaches a potential barrier and its wave function (a mathematical representation of its position and momentum) extends beyond the barrier. This allows the particle to exist on both sides of the barrier simultaneously, increasing the chance of it being on the other side and "tunneling" through the barrier.

Can humans tunnel through walls using quantum tunneling?

No, currently there is no evidence that humans can quantum tunnel through solid objects. While particles on a quantum level can exhibit this behavior, macroscopic objects such as humans are subject to classical physics and cannot pass through solid barriers.

What are the practical applications of quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling has many practical applications, including in electronics, where it allows for the creation of nanoscale transistors and memory devices. It is also used in scanning tunneling microscopes to study the surface of materials at the atomic level.

Are there any risks associated with quantum tunneling?

There are no known risks associated with quantum tunneling. It is a natural phenomenon that occurs on a quantum level and does not pose any danger to humans or the environment.