Quantum treatment of nonlinear susceptibility

In summary, the conversation discusses the quantum treatment of the nonlinear optical susceptibility and the calculation of the transition matrix element for the electric dipole operator. The formula for the second order case involves summing over all possible intermediate states, including virtual states. The conversation also mentions the possibility of computing the magnitude of the nonlinear susceptibility and suggests studying a simpler example, such as two-photon transitions, to better understand the concept. The book "Atom-Photon Interactions" by Cohen-Tannoudji is recommended as a resource for further understanding.
Konte
Hi everybody,

In Robert W. Boyd's book "Nonlinear Optics", the quantum treatment of the nonlinear optical susceptibility lead to the next expression, for the second order case:

[itex]\chi^{(2)}_{ijk}(\omega_{\sigma},\omega_q,\omega_p)=\frac{N}{\hbar^2} P_F\sum_{mn} \frac{\mu_{gn}^i\mu_{nm}^j\mu_{mg}^k}{(\omega_{ng}-\omega_{\sigma})(\omega_{mg}-\omega_p)}[/itex]

- At first time, I supposed [itex] \mu_{nm}=\langle{\phi_n} |\hat{\mu} |{\phi_m}\rangle[/itex] where [itex]\phi_n[/itex] and [itex]\phi_m[/itex] are eigenstates of nonperturbated system. But when I saw the illustration (the same that I show you here), the levels [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] are virtuals !

My question is: in concrete case, how to define and calculate the matrix element [itex] \mu_{nm}[/itex] ?

Thank you everybody.

* forgive me for my English.

SHG.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your response soarce. But I always have a question:
When you say: "The trick here is the sum over the all posible intermediate states (virtual states)", are you meaning that the [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] levels are virtuals?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
The ##n## and ##m## levels by themselves are eigenstates of the system. In your case the ##n## and ##m## are virtual in the sense that one has to sum over all posible states. In the case of the nonlinear susceptibility the system doesn't really pass through any ##n## or ##m## state, it more like a resonance phenomena: the three fields couple by the help of the atomic system.

Do you plan to compute the magnitude of the nonlinear susceptibility ?

Do you plan to compute the magnitude of the nonlinear susceptibility ?

Just now, I don't have computation to do, but I just want to understand this formula.

Let me have any physical system. After solving its nonpertubed Hamiltonian and finding eigenstates, I am thinking to myself : how can I finding the expression of [itex]\chi^{(2)}[/itex] of the system? And I found this expression in Boyd's book.
So now, when you tell me to sum over all possible states, does the summation mean :

[itex]\sum_{mn}\mu_{mn}=\mu_{11}+\mu_{12}+\mu_{13}+...+\mu_{21}+\mu_{22}+\mu_{23}...[/itex]

where [itex]1,2,3,...[/itex] refers to real eigenstates of system?

Is my understanding correct?

In the expression which you found the indexes ##n## and ##m## are linked also to ##\mu_{gn}## and ##\mu_{mg}##. The sum would like something like this:

[tex]
\sum_{nm}\mu_{gn}\mu_{nm}\mu_{mg} = \sum_{\underset{n \neq g}{n}} \mu_{gn} \left( \sum_\underset{m\neq n,g}{m} \mu_{nm}\mu_{mg}\right)
[/tex]

Maybe you should study first a simpler example, e.g. two-photon transition, in order to understand how the sum over the virtual states is introduced. In your example the nonlinearity involves two virtual states (hence the double sum) with the initial and final state being the same.

Thank you much.

I will search from now something about two-photon transition that you advice me. But,could you, in parallel, advice me some internet link or books that explain well this question.

A direct search by Google gives you some lecture notes on two-ptohon transitions:
https://www.google.es/search?q=two-...-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=DED-VPHrDMz8UJ2KgcgL

Try to read the chapter "II.D Multiphoton processes" from Cohen-Tannoudji "Atom-Photon Interactions". It has a descriptive part where focuses on the physics of the phenomena and later address quantitatively the processes (see for instance chapter III "Nonperurbative calculation of transition amplitude"), although I find this last part a little bit hard to follow.

Thank you soarce. I get the Cohen Tannoudji's book from library now. I will read it and return here to tell you how about my understanding.

Related to Quantum treatment of nonlinear susceptibility

1. What is the concept of nonlinear susceptibility in quantum treatment?

Nonlinear susceptibility refers to the ability of a material to exhibit an optical response that is not directly proportional to the intensity of the incident light. In quantum treatment, this phenomenon is described by the interaction between the incident light and the material's electronic structure, which can lead to nonlinear effects such as frequency mixing and harmonic generation.

2. How does quantum treatment explain nonlinear susceptibility?

In quantum treatment, the electronic structure of a material is described by the energy levels of its constituent atoms. When an incident light interacts with these energy levels, it can cause electrons to transition between levels, leading to nonlinear effects. This is because the probability of these transitions is dependent on the intensity of the incident light, resulting in a non-proportional response.

3. What are some applications of quantum treatment of nonlinear susceptibility?

The study of nonlinear susceptibility in quantum treatment has many practical applications. It is used in technologies such as lasers, telecommunications, and quantum computing. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of materials under intense light, such as in optical limiting and optical switching devices.

4. How is the nonlinear susceptibility tensor used in quantum treatment?

The nonlinear susceptibility tensor is a mathematical representation of the nonlinear response of a material to an incident light. In quantum treatment, this tensor is used to describe the effect of the material's electronic structure on its nonlinear response. It contains information about the material's symmetry, which is crucial in understanding and predicting its nonlinear behavior.

5. Are there any challenges in studying the quantum treatment of nonlinear susceptibility?

Yes, there are several challenges in studying the quantum treatment of nonlinear susceptibility. One of the main challenges is the complexity of the mathematical models used to describe the interaction between light and matter in quantum systems. Additionally, experiments in this field require precise control and measurement techniques due to the sensitivity of quantum systems. Another challenge is the need for advanced computational tools to analyze and interpret the results accurately.