Quantum Theory: Operator Exponentiation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that U^n|x\rangle and V^n|p\rangle are eigenstates for x and p, respectively, and how to compute their eigenvalues for U = e^{ip} and V = e^{ix}. It is suggested to use the translation operator T(x') = e^{(\frac{ipx'}{\hbar})} and the commutator [U^n, x] to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help.
WisheDeom

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\left|x\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left|p\right\rangle[/itex] denote position and momentum eigenstates, respectively. Show that [itex]U^n\left|x\right\rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate for [itex]x[/itex] and compute the eigenvalue, for [itex]U = e^{ip}[/itex]. Show that [itex]V^n\left|p\right\rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate for [itex]p[/itex] and compute the eigenvalue, for [itex]V = e^{ix}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [itex](e^{ip})^{n} = e^{inp}[/itex], since p obviously commutes with itself; I also know that momentum is defined as the generator of translations, which leads to a translation operator [itex]T(x') = e^{(\frac{ipx'}{\hbar})}[/itex] with the property that [itex]T(x') \left| x \right\rangle = \left|x+x'\right\rangle[/itex], which is also an eigenstate of [itex]x[/itex]. Is the solution as simple as identifying [itex] U^n [/itex] with the translation operator, with [itex]n[/itex] in units of length/action?

Physics news on Phys.org
WisheDeom said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\left|x\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left|p\right\rangle[/itex] denote position and momentum eigenstates, respectively. Show that [itex]U^n\left|x\right\rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate for [itex]x[/itex] and compute the eigenvalue, for [itex]U = e^{ip}[/itex]. Show that [itex]V^n\left|p\right\rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate for [itex]p[/itex] and compute the eigenvalue, for [itex]V = e^{ix}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [itex](e^{ip})^{n} = e^{inp}[/itex], since p obviously commutes with itself; I also know that momentum is defined as the generator of translations, which leads to a translation operator [itex]T(x') = e^{(\frac{ipx'}{\hbar})}[/itex] with the property that [itex]T(x') \left| x \right\rangle = \left|x+x'\right\rangle[/itex], which is also an eigenstate of [itex]x[/itex]. Is the solution as simple as identifying [itex] U^n [/itex] with the translation operator, with [itex]n[/itex] in units of length/action?

Hint: Consider the action of the commutator [itex][U^n, p][/itex] on the ket [itex]|x\rangle[/itex]

I think you meant [itex][U^n,x][/itex], and if so, I got it! Thanks a lot.

WisheDeom said:
I think you meant [itex][U^n,x][/itex], and if so, I got it! Thanks a lot.

I did, and you're welcome! :smile:

I appreciate your attempt at a solution and your understanding of the properties of the operators involved. However, your solution is not quite complete. To fully show that U^n\left|x\right\rangle is an eigenstate of x, we need to show that it satisfies the eigenvalue equation xU^n\left|x\right\rangle = \lambda U^n\left|x\right\rangle. This can be done by using the commutation relation [x,p]=i\hbar and the fact that U=e^{ip} to show that U^n\left|x\right\rangle is indeed an eigenstate of x with eigenvalue \lambda = x+nh. Similarly, for V^n\left|p\right\rangle to be an eigenstate of p, we need to show that it satisfies the eigenvalue equation pV^n\left|p\right\rangle = \mu V^n\left|p\right\rangle, which can be done using the commutation relation [x,p]=i\hbar and the fact that V=e^{ix}. The eigenvalue in this case is \mu = p+nh, where n is again in units of length/action. Therefore, U^n\left|x\right\rangle and V^n\left|p\right\rangle are eigenstates of x and p, respectively, with eigenvalues that depend on the initial state and the number of times the operator is applied. This shows the power of operator exponentiation in quantum theory.

Related to Quantum Theory: Operator Exponentiation

1. What is operator exponentiation in quantum theory?

Operator exponentiation is a mathematical process in quantum theory where an operator, which represents a physical property of a quantum system, is raised to a power. This allows for the calculation of the expected value of the operator in a given quantum state.

2. How does operator exponentiation relate to quantum mechanics?

Operator exponentiation is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probabilistic outcomes of measurements on quantum systems. It is based on the principles of linear algebra and applies to all types of operators, including observables and quantum gates.

3. What is the significance of operator exponentiation in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, operator exponentiation is crucial for the implementation of quantum algorithms. It allows for the manipulation and transformation of quantum states, which is necessary for performing calculations and solving problems that are not efficiently solvable with classical computers.

4. Can operator exponentiation be applied to all types of quantum systems?

Yes, operator exponentiation is a universal concept in quantum theory and can be applied to all types of quantum systems, including atoms, photons, and even large-scale quantum computers. It is a fundamental tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

5. Are there any limitations to operator exponentiation in quantum theory?

There are some limitations to operator exponentiation in quantum theory, particularly when dealing with non-commuting operators. In some cases, it may not be possible to find a unique solution for the expected value of an operator, and alternative methods must be used. Additionally, the accuracy of operator exponentiation can be affected by measurement errors and other sources of noise in quantum systems.