Quantum theory has affected technological advances?

In summary: Without quantum mechanics, there would be no lasers.In summary, the invention of the transistor is an instance in which laboratory discovery and theoretical understanding played an equally important part.
Jimbrady57
I keep hearing that we wouldn't have the same micro-electric circuts if not for the "advancments" of the quantum theory.

Can someone explain this?

Also, I don't believe the transistor is due to quantum physics...

As far as I know, someone took some silicon "or any semi-conductive metal", then observed that it worked a certain way, then made transistors, then made really small ones.

Isn't the machinery needed to study the quantum world "particle accelerators" highly reliant on this technology "of tiny transister stuff" already being developed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it's fair to say that the invention of the transistor is an instance in which laboratory discovery and theoretical understanding played an equally important part.

There are many devices which use quantum effects for their operation, but which came first the chicken or the egg? Certainly many devices are the result of "suck it and see" type research. The Josephon junction, high temperature super conductors, and the materials used in the more modern solar panel designs are all the result of the theory.

Where the change over came I have no idea.

The fundamental understanding of how a semiconductor works is directly from Quantum Physics. When someone discovered that they could use a semiconductor to make a transistor, I doubt they were working directly with Quantum Theory, but after the discovery when people went to explain how it worked they used Quantum Theory.

An understanding of not only quantum physics, but all of science let's us improve and focus on areas and make progress in them. In many cases a single discovery could never have been so influential without an understanding of how the device works and taking that knowledge and modifying it to work better, different, ETC.

In short, I would say that there are discoveries that are independent of understanding Quantum Theory, and ALSO discoveries that are a direct result of that understanding and applying it to produce a desired effect.

Jimbrady57 said:
I keep hearing that we wouldn't have the same micro-electric circuts if not for the "advancments" of the quantum theory.

Can someone explain this?

Also, I don't believe the transistor is due to quantum physics...

As far as I know, someone took some silicon "or any semi-conductive metal", then observed that it worked a certain way, then made transistors, then made really small ones.

Isn't the machinery needed to study the quantum world "particle accelerators" highly reliant on this technology "of tiny transister stuff" already being developed?

I strongly suggest, before you form your "belief", that you read John Bardeen's biography "True Genius: The Life and Science of John Bardeen".

Zz.

Very well, thank you.

Ahh, I see.

Though we may have invented the transistor anyway...

Now we have a theory that "explains" it, which gives us a much better capability to improve and study it.

Jimbrady57 said:
Ahh, I see.

Though we may have invented the transistor anyway...

That is just idle speculation. It isn't a coincidence that Bardeen was a theorist! He was intimately responsible for a lot of the calculation that went into the design of the first transistor. It wasn't simply by trial and error.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
That is just idle speculation. It isn't a coincidence that Bardeen was a theorist! He was intimately responsible for a lot of the calculation that went into the design of the first transistor. It wasn't simply by trial and error.

Zz.

Really? Thats interesting. I stand corrected! Thanks Zapperz.

Last edited:
Well, way back in the early 20th century, "crystal" radios were built that used crystals, with electrical wires placed pretty much by trial and error, to amplify the signal. Since no quite understood why they worked, there was no real way to improve them and they were replaced by electron tubes. It was only using quantum mechanics that "crystals" were understood and improved into "transistors".

Jimbrady57 said:

ZapperZ said:
I strongly suggest, before you form your "belief", that you read John Bardeen's biography "True Genius: The Life and Science of John Bardeen".

Or even the Wikipedia article on the history of the transistor.

The first ones were germanium. More importantly, (the ultra-short version) there were incorrect theories on how to make a transistor in the 20's and 30's, but it wasn't until Bardeen's correct theoretical work before there was progress in the laboratory.

And it's not just the transistor. The laser is quantum mechanical from the get-go; there simply is no classical analog.

Related to Quantum theory has affected technological advances?

1. How has quantum theory impacted modern technology?

Quantum theory has played a crucial role in the development of modern technology, particularly in the fields of computing, telecommunications, and cryptography. By harnessing the principles of quantum mechanics, scientists have been able to create more powerful and efficient computers, develop secure methods of communication, and improve the accuracy of navigation systems.

2. What is the basis of quantum technology?

The basis of quantum technology is the principle of superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously. This allows for the creation of quantum computers that can process and store vast amounts of information at once, as well as quantum sensors that can detect extremely small changes in their environment.

3. How has quantum technology improved computing?

Quantum technology has greatly improved computing by enabling the creation of quantum computers, which are much faster and more powerful than traditional computers. They can solve complex problems and calculations in a fraction of the time, making them useful for a wide range of applications such as data analysis, financial modeling, and artificial intelligence.

4. In what ways has quantum technology enhanced communication?

Quantum technology has enhanced communication by making it more secure. Quantum cryptography uses the principle of quantum entanglement to create unbreakable codes, making it nearly impossible for hackers to intercept and decipher sensitive information. This has made quantum technology an essential tool for secure communication in fields such as finance, government, and military.

5. What impact has quantum technology had on the future of science?

Quantum technology has had a significant impact on the future of science, as it has opened up new possibilities for research and discovery. Scientists are now able to study and manipulate particles at the quantum level, leading to breakthroughs in fields such as quantum computing, quantum sensing, and quantum teleportation. Quantum technology also has the potential to revolutionize industries such as healthcare, energy, and transportation in the future.