Quantum Teleportation across the Danube Demonstrated

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of teleportation and its limitations, specifically in regards to quantum states. The participants also touch upon the relationship between energy and information in the context of special relativity. Some reference papers are also mentioned.
Skunkmere
so this technology is going to one day be able to transport bigger stuff than a photon. or wtf

Physics news on Phys.org
Skunkmere said:
so this technology is going to one day be able to transport bigger stuff than a photon. or wtf

For those who also followed the string on "Neutrino telescope", this is EXACTLY an example of the kinds of problems I was trying to illustrate with the use of the word "teleportation".

No where in this "Brief Communication" [1] did a photon got "teleported" as envisioned in an episode of Star Trek. I should also quote the first few sentences of Gisin's group paper[2] that has done similar stuff:

"Matter and energy cannot be teleported (that is, transferred from one place to another without passing through intermediate locations). However, teleportation of quantum states (the ultimate structure of objects) is possible: only the structure is teleported - the matter stays at the source side and must be already present at the final location."

Zz.

[1] R. Ursin et al., Nature v.430, p.849 (2004).
[2] I. Marcikiv et al., Nature v.421, p.509 (2003).

Yes,unlike the situation in Star Trek,the original is destroyed,moreover In the light of current knowledge at least,it is impossible to teleport someone without sending information using also a conventional channel of communication.Remains however a big question,is indeed human consciousness only a function of (very complex) arrangements of matter?

Well, I think that the title of the thread is misleading, the team of Zeilinger only demonstratrated long distance quantum entanglement in the Danube experiment,concretely an entanglement distance of 600 m, but there was not teleportation performed in the experiment

meteor said:
Well, I think that the title of the thread is misleading, the team of Zeilinger only demonstratrated long distance quantum entanglement in the Danube experiment,concretely an entanglement distance of 600 m, but there was not teleportation performed in the experiment

Well, to be able to demonstrate the entanglement, they have to make a measurement of the entangled properties at both locations. By simply making one measurement at one end, they automatically determined the property at the other end. This, by definition, is quantum teleportation. So I'm not sure why you think there was no "teleportation" in this experiment.

Zz.

It depends what one considers to be teleportation : we know how to transmit information "instantaneously". But relativity prevents it for energy.
There is teleportation of information in labs like everyday or so :wink:
There will never be energy teleportation :cry:

humanino said:
It depends what one considers to be teleportation : we know how to transmit information "instantaneously". But relativity prevents it for energy.
There is teleportation of information in labs like everyday or so :wink:
There will never be energy teleportation :cry:

1. I didn't make up the definition of "quantum teleportation". So it is not up to me (nor you) to consider it anyway we like.

2. I have already discussed my displeasure of the terminology.

3. Transfer of ANY information (not just energy) faster than c is prohibited by Special Relativity. Quantum teleportation doesn't violate this.

Zz.

I am deeply confused. I totally agree with Zz's 1 & 2 points.
But I don't understand 3. When did SR made statements about information ? Are you saying that energy is a form of information ? I thought those two things were different. I thought information is a well defined concept in QM only.

Zz, I know I am not going to teach you physics. I would like to learn from you.

You certainly already heard it : consider a huge scissors pair, at the scale of the solar system for instance. When the scissors are closing, the intersection of the two arms is traveling way faster than c. It is information traveling faster than c, but not associated with energy traveling faster than c. Where am I wrong ?

humanino said:
I am deeply confused. I totally agree with Zz's 1 & 2 points.
But I don't understand 3. When did SR made statements about information ? Are you saying that energy is a form of information ? I thought those two things were different. I thought information is a well defined concept in QM only.

You certainly already heard it : consider a huge scissors pair, at the scale of the solar system for instance. When the scissors are closing, the intersection of the two arms is traveling way faster than c. It is information traveling faster than c, but not associated with energy traveling faster than c. Where am I wrong ?

http://www.aip.org/pnu/1997/split/pnu350-1.htm
http://www.physics.hku.hk/~phys1303/SolutionHW5.doc

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Zz !

If you or anyone has a reference on what SR has to say about information by itself and how it is linked to energy, I would appreciate too. The two previous links are examples where information is not traveling faster the c. But as far as I understand classical texts on SR (and GR) they don't talk about information.

humanino said:
Thank you very much Zz !

If you or anyone has a reference on what SR has to say about information by itself and how it is linked to energy, I would appreciate too. The two previous links are examples where information is not traveling faster the c. But as far as I understand classical texts on SR (and GR) they don't talk about information.

You need to understand the difference between "phase velocity" and such. Ultimately, the issue of SR depends on how we define light and light "wave".

Refer to:

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath210/kmath210.htm

In particular, pay attention to the part where it says:

However, even for a "genuine" physical wave, i.e., a chain of sequentially dependent events, the phase velocity does not necessarily correspond to the speed at which energy or information is propagating. This is partly a semantical issue, because in order to actually convey information, a signal cannot be a simple periodic wave, so we must consider non-periodic signals, making the notion of "phase" somewhat ambiguous.

Zz.

You're right thanks. I wasn't aware of this experiment made in 2004. I thoght that he was talking about this other experiment of 2003 also across the Danube, were only entanglement was performed, no teleportation
http://physicsweb.org/article/news/7/6/20/1

BTW (off-topic): Kisses to Mar, my girlfriend :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Quantum Teleportation across the Danube Demonstrated

What is quantum teleportation across the Danube?

Quantum teleportation across the Danube refers to a recent scientific achievement in which researchers were able to successfully teleport quantum information across a distance of 14 kilometers along the Danube River in Austria. This was done using a process called quantum entanglement, which allows for the transfer of information between two particles instantaneously, regardless of the distance between them.

How does quantum teleportation across the Danube work?

Quantum teleportation across the Danube involves three main steps: creating a pair of entangled photons, sending one photon to the receiving station on the other side of the Danube, and using the entangled photon to transmit information about the quantum state of the original photon. This allows for the exact replica of the original photon to be created at the receiving station, effectively teleporting the quantum information.

What are the potential applications of quantum teleportation across the Danube?

Quantum teleportation across the Danube has potential applications in quantum communication and quantum computing. It could potentially lead to more secure and efficient methods of data transfer, as well as advancements in quantum computing technology.

What challenges were faced in achieving quantum teleportation across the Danube?

One of the main challenges in achieving quantum teleportation across the Danube was maintaining the delicate quantum state of the entangled photons over a long distance. This required advanced technology and precise control over the experimental setup.

What are the implications of this achievement for the field of quantum physics?

The successful demonstration of quantum teleportation across the Danube is a significant achievement in the field of quantum physics and has potential implications for our understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe. It also opens up new possibilities for quantum communication and computing, which could greatly impact various industries and technologies in the future.