Quantum State Evolution of a Free Particle at a Defined Position

In summary, the question is about the quantum state of a free particle at a certain time after its detection at a specific position. The answer involves using the evolution operator with the Hamiltonian of a free particle and working in the momentum basis. It is also suggested to use Fourier transforms to find the wave function in position space.
bluesunday
The question is: what is the quantum state of a free particle t time after its detection at the position r0 in t=0?

I know I have to use the evolution operator with the hamiltonian of a free particle. My actual problem is more stupid than that: I don't really know how to express the STATE of a free particle of well defined position (r0 in t=0, in this case)

Physics news on Phys.org
If we know exactly the position of the particle at t=0, does this mean that at this time its state is an eigenstate of position, with eigenvalue r0? How can I put that into:

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/1/0/3/10317da44bf13fbd709cd642c5143b9f.png[/URL]

Should I just skip Dirac notation and work with wavefuncions? I don't know... Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd work in the momentum basis for this problem.

The wave function for a free particle at a definite position is a delta function.

Fourier transform this wavefunction into momentum space and then time evolve. It should be straightforward in the momentum basis.

If you need your answer in position space, then you can always Fourier transform back.

Last edited:

Related to Quantum State Evolution of a Free Particle at a Defined Position

1. What is a quantum state and how does it evolve?

A quantum state is a mathematical representation of a quantum system, which can have properties such as position, momentum, energy, and spin. The evolution of a quantum state refers to how it changes over time, according to the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the evolution of a quantum state differ from classical systems?

In classical systems, the state of a system can be fully described by its position and momentum at a given time. However, in quantum systems, the state is described by a wavefunction, which can be in a superposition of multiple states simultaneously. This leads to unique behaviors such as quantum entanglement and uncertainty.

3. What factors influence the evolution of a quantum state?

The evolution of a quantum state is influenced by the Hamiltonian of the system, which represents the total energy of the system. Other factors such as external forces and interactions with other quantum systems can also affect the evolution of a quantum state.

4. Can the evolution of a quantum state be predicted?

According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the evolution of a quantum state is described by Schrödinger's equation, which allows us to predict the future state of a system given its current state and the Hamiltonian. However, the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics means that the exact outcome of an experiment may not be predictable.

5. How does the concept of superposition play a role in the evolution of a quantum state?

The concept of superposition is central to the evolution of a quantum state. It allows for the coexistence of multiple states at the same time, which leads to phenomena such as interference and tunneling. The evolution of a quantum state is essentially the evolution of the superposition of these multiple states.