Quantum State diagram for system of particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum states and how they are used to describe particles distributed over evenly spaced energy levels. The exact notation or representation of these states may vary depending on the context and level of understanding. It is suggested that more information or guidance be sought from course material or a knowledgeable source.
SalfordPhysics
Question:
"Write the quantum state for the following system of particles distributed over evenly spaced energy levels"

The diagram (couldn't upload so hope its not too rough):

5 ----------------------
4 ----------------------
3 --------------X-------
2 ------X---X------X----
1 --X-------------------
0 ---------------------X
___(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Answer:
I am assuming it means the quantum numbers, but don;t know how to deduce from energy level and particle number (which I am assuming are the axes).
An explanation rather than answer would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Sorry I've not really got any more information. I don;t know what "the quantum state" is :/

A bit hard to help you along without knowing more of the context of this exercise (introduction to QM, relativistic quantum fields ?). Where are you in your curriculum ?

If you don't know what a quantum state is, things become a little awkward. But if you are supposed to know about energy levels as eigenvalues of the time-independent Schroedinger equation, we are better off.

Are you used to writing states as ##\psi_E## or are you into more advanced disguises like ##|1,1,3,1,0,0>## ?

We aren't even that far yet BvU, its to do with energy levels but eigenvalues haven't been introduced to the course. The course unit is statistical physics. Sorry I can't vive more information :(

Makes sense. In statistical mechanics we want to count the number of ways a state with a given total energy can be brought about (usually with indistinguishable particles), so we need a way to describe individuals.

Doesn't help you, I'm afraid: you'll have to dig into your lecture material to find out what is meant at this stage. My best guess would be the already mentioned ##|1,1,3,1,0,0>##, but I must admit it's a long shot. And it already has indistinguishability built in !

In fact, when I browse through my old Pathria, Statistical Mechanics (1972!), I don't see this bra-ket notation appearing anywhere (*). The term quantum states pops up here and there, but isn't really defined or outlined properly.

Can't help much further, but I hope you can get some other assistance, good luck !(*) [edit] Not correct: in chapter 5: quantum statistics... they do show up

Last edited:
Thanks for your help BvU I will just have to go and interrogate the guy who wrote the tutorial!

Related to Quantum State diagram for system of particles

1. What is a quantum state diagram for a system of particles?

A quantum state diagram for a system of particles is a graphical representation of the possible states that a system of particles can exist in. It shows the different energy levels and corresponding quantum states that the particles can occupy.

2. How is a quantum state diagram different from a classical state diagram?

A quantum state diagram differs from a classical state diagram in that it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and superposition. In a classical state diagram, particles are assumed to exist in well-defined states, whereas in a quantum state diagram, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

3. What information can be obtained from a quantum state diagram?

A quantum state diagram can provide information about the energy levels and allowed quantum states of a system of particles. It can also show the transitions between different states and the probability of the system being in a particular state.

4. How is a quantum state diagram useful in studying a system of particles?

A quantum state diagram is useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of a system of particles. It can help in determining the energy levels and transitions of the particles, which can then be used to calculate various physical properties of the system.

5. Can a quantum state diagram be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, a quantum state diagram can be applied to all types of particles, including atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. It is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics and is used to study the behavior of a wide range of physical systems.