Quantum physics in engineering

In summary: There are certainly applications in other areas, but they're not as central.I don't really see quantum mechanics playing much of a role in civil engineering. It will show up in materials engineering, and then I suppose civil engineers use the materials that materials engineers designed. There are certainly applications in other areas, but they're not as central.
MNEG
Hi, I am studying civil engineerin. I wonder if learning quantum physicist could be worth it for my career. I know that as an engineer I can get a master degree in physics, which have a lot of topics of modern physics. Do you think it could be a good idea? I mean, these new knoeledge is helpful to do research in this field of engineering or is more for academic purposes, to work as a professor.

Please let me know from your own expirience.

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt quantum mechanics is useful in most aspects of civil engineering.

Vanadium 50 said:
Tunneling maybe? :smile:

sheaf said:
Tunneling maybe? :smile:
Wold you
Vanadium 50 said:
would do you tell me a little more?

What more is there to say? Is coin collecting useful to civil engineering? Is tap dancing? I don't see how there is much to say except "not really, no".

Vanadium 50 said:
What more is there to say? Is coin collecting useful to civil engineering? Is tap dancing? I don't see how there is much to say except "not really, no".
That's the kind of answer i needed, may be tough, but honest. Could you tell me what advanced courses are helpuf for applying engineering.

Why is this tough? And the most useful advanced courses helpful to a civil engineer are usually some kind of engineering. Hard to be more specific, as civil engineering is a broad field.

I can't help, but wonder if you might actually be interested in switching branches of engineering. Civil engineering is more about roads and bridges. If you're interested in quantum mechanics, maybe you could look at going into engineering physics, electrical engineering, or materials science.

Likes ramzerimar
Choppy said:
I can't help, but wonder if you might actually be interested in switching branches of engineering. Civil engineering is more about roads and bridges. If you're interested in quantum mechanics, maybe you could look at going into engineering physics, electrical engineering, or materials science.
That's what i was thinking about, switch to physics engineering. The problem is that i don't understand what kind of work i could get and I wouldn't like to end as a professor just because i don't get another job.

I would be really glad if someone could share its own experience interacting with this branch of engineering or one of the mentioned before.

MNEG said:
and I wouldn't like to end as a professor just because i don't get another job.
That won't happen. Science professor jobs are harder to get than (nearly) anything else.
Everything in the physics/engineering spectrum has nice job-relevant applications.

I don't really see quantum mechanics playing much of a role in civil engineering. It will show up in materials engineering, and then I suppose civil engineers use the materials that materials engineers designed.

Related to Quantum physics in engineering

1. What is quantum physics in engineering?

Quantum physics in engineering is the application of quantum mechanics, a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, to engineering problems and technologies. It involves understanding and harnessing the unique properties of quantum particles to develop new and more efficient engineering solutions.

2. How is quantum physics used in engineering?

Quantum physics is used in engineering in various ways, such as in the development of quantum computers, quantum sensors, and quantum cryptography. It also plays a role in the design of new materials with enhanced properties, such as superconductors, and in the advancement of quantum mechanics-based technologies like quantum teleportation.

3. What are the implications of quantum physics in engineering?

The implications of quantum physics in engineering are vast and far-reaching. It has the potential to revolutionize many industries, including healthcare, transportation, and communication. It can lead to faster and more secure computing, more sensitive sensors, and more efficient energy production. It also has the potential to greatly impact our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws.

4. What challenges are faced in implementing quantum physics in engineering?

One of the main challenges in implementing quantum physics in engineering is the delicate nature of quantum systems. These systems are highly sensitive to external factors, making it difficult to manipulate and control them. Additionally, the development of quantum technologies requires advanced and expensive equipment, making it a resource-intensive process.

5. What are the future possibilities of quantum physics in engineering?

The possibilities of quantum physics in engineering are endless. It has the potential to lead to major advancements in fields such as medicine, energy, and communication. Some experts even believe that quantum computing could surpass classical computing in terms of speed and capabilities. As research and development in this field continue, we can expect to see even more groundbreaking applications of quantum physics in engineering.