Quantum Pendulum: Solving in Heisenberg Interp.

This state is a Gaussian wave packet centered around the position $x_0$ with a width of $\sigma$ and a momentum of $p_0$. In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of a quantum pendulum in the region of unstable equilibrium, and how to solve it using the Heisenberg interpretation of quantum mechanics. The equation of motion was given, along with its solution and the computation of standard deviations. The state of the system was also described.
jackdamiels
Hy

I am trying to solve problem of quantum pendulum in region of unstable equilibrium.
I am doing it in Heiseberg interpretation of QM. The equation of motion that I am getting is
[tex] \dot{\dot{\theta}} = \omega^2\theta [/tex],
and the solution is in form of :

[tex] x (t) = A\cosh(\omega t) + B\sinh (\omega t) [/tex].

With some starting connditions I can get A i B, that is simple. But problem arose when I am computing standard deviations od for example
[tex] (\delta x )^2 = <(x - <x>)^2 >[/tex]
I am getting imaginary numbers, and time dependence. Time dependence is OK, because it is Heisenberg picture, but whay imagenery part in this standard deviations. State is :
[tex] 1/{\sqrt{\sigma{sqrt{2\pi}e^{ip_0 x}e^{-\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{4\sigma^2}[/tex].

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation of motion for a quantum pendulum in the region of unstable equilibrium is given by \dot{\dot{\theta}} = \omega^2\theta ,where $\omega$ is the angular frequency.The solution to this equation can be written as x(t) = A\cosh(\omega t) + B\sinh (\omega t) .Using some initial conditions, one can determine the constants A and B.To compute the standard deviation of the position, one needs to compute the expectation value of $(x - <x>)^2$. This will give an expression that contains both real and imaginary parts. The imaginary part is due to the fact that the solution for $x(t)$ contains complex numbers, which means that the expectation value of $(x-<x>)^2$ will also contain complex numbers. The time dependence is expected, since we are working in the Heisenberg picture, where all operators evolve with time.The state of the system can be written as \frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ip_0x}e^{-\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{4\sigma^2}}.

Related to Quantum Pendulum: Solving in Heisenberg Interp.

1. What is a quantum pendulum?

A quantum pendulum is a theoretical model of a pendulum that takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. It is used to study the behavior of a pendulum on a microscopic scale, such as the motion of subatomic particles.

2. How is a quantum pendulum different from a classical pendulum?

A classical pendulum follows the laws of classical mechanics, where the position and momentum of the pendulum can be precisely measured and known at any given time. In contrast, a quantum pendulum takes into account the uncertainty principle, meaning that the position and momentum of the pendulum cannot be known simultaneously with complete precision.

3. How is the Heisenberg interpretation used to solve the quantum pendulum?

The Heisenberg interpretation is a way of understanding and interpreting the principles of quantum mechanics. In the case of the quantum pendulum, it is used to calculate the expected values of the position and momentum of the pendulum over time, taking into account the uncertainty principle.

4. What are the applications of studying the quantum pendulum?

The quantum pendulum has applications in various fields, including quantum computing, quantum information theory, and quantum optics. It can also help us better understand the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale and potentially lead to new technologies in the future.

5. Are there any real-world examples of a quantum pendulum?

While there are no actual pendulums that behave according to the principles of the quantum pendulum, the model has been used in various experiments and simulations to study the behavior of quantum systems. Some examples include studying the behavior of atoms in a magnetic field and the vibrations of molecules.