Quantum Optics - transition from pure to mixed state

In summary, the atom goes from a pure state to a mixed state as a result of the interaction with the vacuum fields.
SchroedingersLion
Hello guys,

I am trying to understand the following experiment:

1. Prepare a 2 level atom in state |0>
2. Shine in a Pi/2 pulse --> atom goes to 1/√2 (|0>+|1>)
3. Wait time T
4. Shine in second Pi/2 pulse
a) if the state is pure: atom will go to state |1>, p1=1
b) if the state is mixed: p1=1/2, p2=1/2

And below a plot of p1 with respect to T. It starts at p1=1 and decreases with T to 1/2.

I don't understand point 4.
What I understand:
If T=0, the state is a pure superposition and gets to |1> via the second Pi/2 pulse
But as soon as time T passes after the first pulse, I am losing information, since the atom interacts with the vacuum fields (who are also responsible for spontaneous emission).

But what does that mean? Does the interaction with the vacuum 'destroy' my superposition and force the atom into either state |0> or state |1>?
Because if I then apply my second light pulse, it would go either from |0> to 1/√2 (|0>+|1>) or from |1> to 1/√2 (|0>+|1>), and then I would have my probabilities at 1/2.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
SchroedingersLion said:
But as soon as time T passes after the first pulse, I am losing information, since the atom interacts with the vacuum fields (who are also responsible for spontaneous emission).
Yes, but you also have to consider the lifetime of the state with respect to the duration of the experiment. Using a long-lifetime excited state, one can neglect any effect due to spontaneous emission. It can also become simply a source of uncertainty (for instance, in an atomic clock).

Ok, let's assume it has a short enough average lifetime to play a role.
How exactly is the vacuum field 'destroying' the superposition? Is it possible to understand it intuitively?

The vacuum is not a field but a specific state of quantum fields.

SchroedingersLion said:
I am trying to understand the following experiment:

1. Prepare a 2 level atom in state |0>
2. Shine in a Pi/2 pulse --> atom goes to 1/√2 (|0>+|1>)
3. Wait time T
4. Shine in second Pi/2 pulse
a) if the state is pure: atom will go to state |1>, p1=1
b) if the state is mixed: p1=1/2, p2=1/2

I am not sure whether the interpretation is correct. Do you have a reference where the experiment is described?

Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Quantum Optics - transition from pure to mixed state

1. What is the difference between a pure state and a mixed state in quantum optics?

In quantum optics, a pure state refers to a state of a system that can be described by a single wave function. This means that the system is in a well-defined state with no uncertainty. On the other hand, a mixed state is a state where the system is in a combination of multiple pure states with different probabilities. This means that there is some uncertainty in the system's state.

2. How does a system transition from a pure state to a mixed state in quantum optics?

A system can transition from a pure state to a mixed state through the process of decoherence. Decoherence is the interaction of a quantum system with its surrounding environment, which leads to the loss of coherence and the emergence of a mixed state. This can be caused by factors such as temperature, noise, and interactions with other particles.

3. Can a system in a mixed state return to a pure state in quantum optics?

No, a system in a mixed state cannot return to a pure state in quantum optics. Once a system has undergone decoherence and entered a mixed state, it will continue to remain in a mixed state. This is due to the irreversible nature of decoherence, which leads to the loss of information about the system's initial state.

4. How is the transition from a pure state to a mixed state measured in quantum optics?

The transition from a pure state to a mixed state is measured through the process of quantum state tomography. This involves performing measurements on the system in different basis states and using this data to reconstruct the system's density matrix, which describes the probabilities of different states in the mixed state.

5. What are the applications of studying the transition from a pure state to a mixed state in quantum optics?

Studying this transition is crucial for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and their interactions with the environment. This knowledge is essential for the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum communication. It also has implications for studying complex systems in nature, such as biological systems, where decoherence plays a significant role.