Quantum numbers - Total Energy and Orbital Momentum

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of total energy, square of orbital momentum, and z-component of orbital angular momentum for a hydrogen atom with quantum numbers l=1, n=2, and m=-1. The solution involves using Schrodinger's equation and the formulas E = (-mq^4)/(hbar^2n^2), L = sqrt(l(l+1))hbar, and L_z = m*hbar. If further assistance is needed, it is recommended to post in the Introductory Physics Homework forum.
klw289
With the quantum numbers l=1, n=2 and m=-1 how do I calculate the total energy E, L2 (the square of the orbital momentum) and Lz (the z-component of the orbital angular momentum.

I've been trying for two hours and am getting no were. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
klw289 said:
With the quantum numbers l=1, n=2 and m=-1 how do I calculate the total energy E, L2 (the square of the orbital momentum) and Lz (the z-component of the orbital angular momentum.

I've been trying for two hours and am getting no were. Please help

Is this a homework problem? If so, it should be moved to the homework section, and should be put in the proper homework problem format.

Likes secur
This was not "homework" I am just reading a physics book for my own enjoyment and I was reading a section and I have no clue how to get started. I could post it in homework if its more suitable?

klw289 said:
This was not "homework" I am just reading a physics book for my own enjoyment and I was reading a section and I have no clue how to get started. I could post it in homework if its more suitable?

Well, the actual way that these things are figured out is to start with Schrodinger's equation. That's a pretty complicated undertaking, which can't really be described in a post. If you just want to skip to the answers: For a hydrogen atom,

[itex]E = \frac{- m q^4}{\hbar^2 n^2}[/itex]

where [itex]m[/itex] is the mass of an electron, [itex]q[/itex] is the charge of an electron (in CSU units), [itex]n[/itex] is the principal quantum number, and [itex]\hbar[/itex] is Planck's constant.

[itex]L = \sqrt{l(l+1)} \hbar[/itex]
[itex]L_z = m \hbar[/itex]

For an atom other than a hydrogen atom, replace [itex]q^4[/itex] by [itex]N^2q^4[/itex], where [itex]N[/itex] is the number of protons in the atom.

We consider this to be a "homework-like" problem. If your trouble is that you can't find the appropriate formulas, try here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/qunoh.html

Follow the links for "Principal quantum number", etc.

If you have the formulas but you can't get the numbers to come out right, go to the Introductory Physics Homework forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/introductory-physics-homework.153/

Post what you've done (show your work), and someone can probably find your mistake.

(stevendaryl slipped in ahead of me)

Thank you, that can get me started. I'll also go back to schrodingers equation.

Related to Quantum numbers - Total Energy and Orbital Momentum

1. What are quantum numbers and how are they related to total energy and orbital momentum?

Quantum numbers are numerical values that describe the energy and location of an electron in an atom. The total energy of an electron is determined by the principal quantum number, while the orbital momentum is related to the azimuthal and magnetic quantum numbers.

2. How do quantum numbers help us understand the electronic structure of an atom?

Quantum numbers provide a way to organize and predict the behavior of electrons in an atom. They allow us to determine the energy levels and orbital shapes that electrons can occupy, giving us a better understanding of an atom's electronic structure.

3. Can quantum numbers be used to determine the spin of an electron?

Yes, the spin quantum number is one of the four quantum numbers that describes the state of an electron in an atom. It specifies the direction of an electron's spin, either up or down, and helps to differentiate between two electrons in the same orbital.

4. How are quantum numbers related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of electrons in an atom. The quantum numbers are used as parameters in the equation, allowing us to calculate the probability of finding an electron at a certain energy level and location in an atom.

5. Can quantum numbers be used to predict the chemical properties of an element?

Yes, the arrangement of electrons in an atom, determined by the quantum numbers, plays a crucial role in the chemical properties of an element. The number and distribution of electrons in the outermost energy level can determine an element's reactivity and its ability to form chemical bonds with other elements.